Preparing walls for painting - advice needed pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need some advice on how to finish the internal walls in a house we have recently purchased. It's a 1030's semi that is in of some modernisation.

We've stripped the old wallpaper back to the plaster in most rooms and are now faced with the problem of how to prepare for painting.

The plaster is good, but we have the original paint layer which is chipping/peeling away and patchy. What's the best way to tackle this? Scrapping/sanding back the paint. Or would it be best to have a professional plasterer skim the walls and if so, would this adhere to the old paint?

I'll post photo's if needed.

Thanks!
Brent
London

Sponsored Links
Whenever I've encountered walls like this I've always sanded them to get rid of any loose or flaky material, given the wall a quick hoover and wipe to get rid of any dust and then cleaned them with sugar soap to get rid of any residual wallpaper paste/glue.
Afterwards I then seal them with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EZ3ENYM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Once that's dry you can then paint straight onto it, but obviously you need to make sure that the walls are nice and smooth after sanding so whether or not you need to start thinking about a re-skim will depend on what the surface looks like after sanding.

Is that beeline stuff ok? It looks like very expensive PVA to me, which isn't the best to paint over. Not trying to be a pain, but I am wondering over the product!

Sponsored Links
I'd just sand and sugarsoap the walls, filling in any divots you discover; then crack on with the painting.

Is that beeline stuff ok? It looks like very expensive PVA to me, which isn't the best to paint over. Not trying to be a pain, but I am wondering over the product!

It's a fair question; I thought exactly the same when I first cracked the lid off the tub, but it was recommended to me by a painter and decorator mate who won't touch PVA with a bargepole so whatever it is it's not the same stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back