Preparing a wall for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just to embark on decorating my hallway. My house is quite old, and this section of the house has no damp course, so all the paint is peeling and flaking....

I am going to seal the wall with an emulsion/PVA mix, but I wondered about the best way to prepare the wall to get the best end result... I have been scraping the loose paint, but there are patches varying in depth, some going back one layer of paint, others back to plaster...

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
First bit of advice..leave the PVA alone!

Scrape the walls as much as you can to remove all the loose stuff..bind then them down with a coat of dulux stain block, thinned by about 25%

Fill them, rub down, size the filled areas...line with 1000 grade lining paper then paint.

If you leave out the lining paper youll see loads of 'scars' on the wall from the filling and rubbing down process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back