Prepping a varnished surface

TEC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve got half a dozen louvered wooded doors on some built in wardrobes which have been varnished at some point in the past and we want to re-paint them in a simple white egg shell. Because of the intricacy of the louvering they are going to be impossible to sand well enough to provide a key to prime on. Short of getting them dipped can anybody recommend a way to prep them for painting?

Cheers,

Tom.

Sponsored Links
Rub em down as best you can with 100 grade abrasive paper then coat them with either dulux super grip or another decent problem solving primer,,blackfriers make one too..

Rub down lightly after a couple of days then re coat with your eggshell/satin finish

Do not use wire wool, this will embed very tiny strands of wire in the wood, which will then rust, eventually showing as tiny yellow/brown marks in your white paint.

Use a good quality glass paper...as Zampa says...100 grit or finer.

Vacuum/blow it off/wipe down before coating.

Sponsored Links
trazor said:
Do not use wire wool, this will embed very tiny strands of wire in the wood, which will then rust, eventually showing as tiny yellow/brown marks in your white paint.

not if its already been varnished it wont?

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Andy were you suggestion wire wool just to provide a key for primer or to actually remove the varnish?

Ok so If I can get a good key with wire wool, what primer should I then use?

Can I join in here please?

I have tongue and groove on the ceilings of kitchen and bathrooms in the house I have just moved into. Thought that I could live with it but now I'm not sure.

Will the plan of attack be the same here? There are downlighter to contend with, but would still prefer it painted I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back