Pressure cooker what pressure and how to adjust.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a lovely stainless steel pressure cooker had it many years and gave great service. However we then got an induction hob and it no longer worked. So when Lidi did a cheap pressure cooker we bought one. However then we found not all pressure cookers are the same. It seems the pressure and so the temperature varies a lot the Lidi one I think was 5 psi.

Also nothing on them that states what power, the largest heat area is 3.7 kW which is a lot of energy and never sure if the unit can release enough steam should I not see when it starts to boil.

So at the moment three pressure cookers, the Lidi at around 5 psi, a stand alone Cook Essentials at 10 psi and a plastic one designed to go into the microwave not a clue what pressure. But the problem with all pressure cookers is until cool again not a clue what has happened to food inside.

So how do you adjust to match is there a table where you can look up % reduction in cook time to pressure used?

The Microwave pressure cooker is really hard as food being both pressure cooked and microwaved but where you switch on for set time as with both microwave and Cook Essentials and set heat in time we can work it out. But with the Lidi one what heat can I use? I normally set to around 7 and set the auto boil and simmer but that is dependent on how much water is in it. All seems to be going well then I realise the pressure has dropped and not a clue when it dropped.

Also wondered if I could get a cosy for it? Can you get large tea cosy to go over pans on the induction hob? No red hot ring or flame any more so why can't one keep in the heat?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back