pressure gauge stuck

pff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So i had a go at replacing a radiator.
old one came off fine, checked boiler pressure and the needle hadn't moved, but why would it.
inhibitor went in the new empty rad ok, bleed valve open, lockshield? valve open and away we went.
had a helper watching the pressure and it didn't move.
radiator stopped filling though so obviously no pressure in the system.
its a worchester combi greenstar 30cdi boiler with a plastic filling key so i let some more water in hoping the needle might be persuaded to move in the other direction but it still didn't move.

so, is there any way i can re-pressurize the system myself for tomorrow? can i fit a second pressure gauge into a radiator bleed valve or something until the boiler valve is replaced? will that work?

i'm not keen on turning the boiler on at all because the pump runs every 24h to prevent seizing which i'm sure would not go down well if there is no pressure in the system, is that right?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
A additional pressure gauge can go anywhere on the heating loop.

Fill the new radiator by bleeding and opening the filling loop as you have done & Bleed all the other rads.

The boiler will shouldn't run with zero pressure in the heating loop.

What reading is showing on the gauge?
When you open a radiator vent, does anything come out?

Sponsored Links
A additional pressure gauge can go anywhere on the heating loop.
great thanks. replaced a bung on a rad with a tail, washing machine valve and pressure gauge.

What reading is showing on the gauge?
boiler gauge was reading under 1 bar but still in the green.

When you open a radiator vent, does anything come out?
not until i opened the filling loop so i guess that it was down to 0 pressure.

job done anyway thanks guys, second gauge was at 1.5 bar, showing about 1.7 as its heating up.
just away to bleed them now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back