Pressure keeps rising on my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please please please help.
My radiators on the 2me floor of my house weren't getting very warm, so bled them all and noticed the pressure on my boiler was virtually 0. I used the valve to add more water however I added too much, the pressure went up to about 3 and water started drippin out of a copper pipe. I've read that bleedin the radiators might help to relieve the pressure. This works and the water stops drippin but it stil creeps back up after a few hours even with the boiler switched off.
Help i'm scared in case the pressure gets too high. I keep bleedin the radiators when it creeps up!

Sponsored Links
Is that the valve thing that I turned to add more water, i've double checked that i've turned it back. It was already connected, I haven't connected anything. How do I go about disconnecting it? I'm a girl remember. I just wish i'd never touched anything on the dam thing now. I'm scared its gunma blow up or summat now

Morning Jackie
When you added more water to your system did you have to turn 2 small black knobs (for want of a better word) or did you have to use a flat screwdriver.

It does sound as though the place where you added more water is still letting the water back in...
If its an olderish system then sometimes those black knobs seem to sieze up and you may think you have turned it off but its still on.

Let me put your mind at rest, you wont blow up....
I presume the copper pipes you see water dripping from is outside?
This is whats called the pressure relief outlet pipe (blow off pipe in the trade)
Its attached to a valve which if the pressure exceeds 3 bar then it will open the valve and discharge water from the boiler to relieve the pressure.

If you cant find anything obvious ask around your friends for a plumber...its only a few minutes to work it out and even if the filling loop needs replacing it can be done in less than half an hour..

Dont panic ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanx for the reassurance. No what I turned to let the water in was like a blue valve sort of thing about an inch long I just turned it a quarter turn to left (as far as it would go) then back again after. I've got a plumber comin in about an hour. I just hope I haven't done any damage and it isn't an expensive job. Yeah it is an old boiler but I just can't afford a new one at the mo, hence why I attempted to sort it myself :confused:
Fingers crossed eh!
I just don't wanna get ripped off that all x

i have read on some other forums that it could be the heat exchanger if its not the filling loop? ? ? ? ?

If, when the filling loop is disconnected, the pressure still rises, with the system turned off, then it is likely the secondary heat exchanger is the problem.

call out + parts(£10ish) if it's the filling loop.
Secondary heat exchanger varies on boiler, also time to change it.
take the flexi pipe off the filling loop tap to see if it's letting by, unscrew it slowly in case it is leaking substantially - or if there's no non-return valve on the boiler side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back