Pressure Loss On A Viesman Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! We have been having a problem with our Viesman combo boiler for months. The pressure keeps dropping!

We had a plumber round on friday and had all of the floor board by all the rads up and had a lad crawling round the tiny gap under the house but all rads are bone dry.

There is no sign of a leak com in from upstairs and we are topping it up all the time - over a bar in 3 days.

We are going to try the leak seal next but running out of ideas beyond selling the house.

Anybody got any brainwaves????

Sponsored Links
Any drips from the copper pipe outside?
How old is the boiler?
Do you have it serviced?
Where is it installed? Eg loft ground floor etc

Hi, thanks for response.

The copper overflow Blowoff pipe is actually in the garage. The plumber has unscrewed it so I can see if anteater is coming out the system and there is none so far.

The boiler and whole system was installed in December 2008 so just over 4 years old. It has been ok for years but we have always had a bit of an issue with the last towel rail on the system not being warm due to inadequate pressure.

The plumber has given it a good once over and fully balanced the system about a month ago and we thought that had cracked it but same issues started again soon after.

It is installed in the laundry which is on the ground floor.

Thanks

There may be a problem with the boiler itself, rather than a leak. The pressure gauge may be faulty, or something else inside. Is it still under guarantee?

Sponsored Links
that is very improbable.

If you keep putting water in, it must be leaking out somewhere.

You can't see the leak

so it is probably somewhere you can't see, probably a pipe under the floor.

We have looked under all of the floors on the ground floor that are timber and checked all the pipe leading into the rads. We have 2 areas of concrete floor with underfloor heating but as the leaks seem to be so fast when the pressure is above 1 bar surely it could not be soaking into the concrete that fast?

The only hope I have is to try a leak sealant. Failing that we will have to lift all the floors upstairs. I would have thought we would have seen evidence of a leak by now though given the volume of water.

It is driving me mad not knowing where the water is going!!!

There are several possibilities for leaks on the boiler itself.

A competent boiler engineer should know how to check that. I dont know about plumbers though.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks, I will look into a boiler engineer. Don't suppose you know any in the Nottingham area?

I recall you giving me advise on my last boiler back in 2011 on this forum too so thanks again!

Joe

There are several in Notinghamshire who post on this forum.

You could try to see if they have contact details or may be able to send them a PM.

Water leaking in concrete can run away and produce no evidence on the surface.

Sometimes thermal imaging can help to pinpoint leaks in concrete and possibly a simple IR thermostat. But the boiler needs to be confirmed as not the problem first.

Tony

Thanks, I have found one and have them booked in for next week. After that I am getting the wrecking ball out on the house!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back