Pressure Release Valve location - Ariston Undersink Water Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my first post.

I am installing an undersink water heater in the garage loft.

The instructions say the pressure release valve must be on the cold feed and the diagram show it right next the heater, my question is can i install it below the floor. i.e. in the garage below (as drawn)

It also says the water feed must be 2.8m from the nearest cold water draw off, i assume that means the toilet looking at my diagram?

Thank you for any help.

upload_2017-1-23_12-9-6.png

Sponsored Links
This might help you understand the 2.8m requirement. Also I believe anything from the PRV is meant to go into a tundish and also be visible and drain off to a specific place, but that might be only for certain size water heaters.
diagram_pipe.jpg

But I wouldn't go fitting the PRV under a floor where you wont see it and a flood could develop

Thanks for the diagram, it needs the pipe for expansion so even though my pipe tees before 2.8m i am going to assume i can keep counting the pipe after the tee and would have alot more than 2.8m to a draw off.

PRV would be under the floor but at ceiling height in the garage so i will see it/have access. I just cant find anywhere that says that is/isnt allowed or a really bad idea.

Sponsored Links
I fitted one of those once. Well actually twice.:D
Fitted a pressure reducing valve then 16m of 15mm plastic piping. Lasted a year before it busted.
I thought the 2.8m minimum they talk about was the minimum run of plastic pipe to allow for expansion. ie.. the pipe flexing.
I had 16m so thought it would be OK.

The 6 bar pressure relief valve must have acted an ornament.
Went back with a new one anyway and fitted the expansion vessel. No problems since.
And what I learned since was that the 2.8m is to ensure the hot doesn't reach the cold tap T off and expansion goes back down the mains pipe.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back