Pressure testing radiator pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've now completed my radiator pipework. This consistes of two separate zones (upstairs and downstairs). I've gone with a 22mm trunk and then 10mm drops to the rads. I ahve gone with a mixture of 22mm copper and HEP. I've used the HEP fittings throughout.

I am now nearing the point of plasterboarding, skimming, etc. and then hanging the radiators and connecting the 10mm pipes to the rads.

Before I do this, I asusme that the pipework needs to be pressure tested. I am happy to cap off all the 10mm drops to seal the zones and then test. Can I then remove the end caps and use on the other zone?

More importantly, what type of test do you reccomend?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
what kit should I be using and should I buy/hire since this is a DIY project? Any other tips?

I would normally use a test bucket, I would imagine you can hire one easily enough. thats all you need.

Sponsored Links
follow the hep2o testing instructions, dont leave the test on for long peroids at high pressures. use water test pump. air testing can be dangerous and should only be done by a competent person with good PLI.

If you are using the latest In4sure Hep fittings then it's just normal hydro testing procedures - 1.5 working pressure for min 1hr using a water test pump.
If it's mixed fittings system I'd go with haze, no more than that needed to test the connections will hold IMO, time is at least a couple of hours but as long as possible. Not sure I'd leave unattended overnight at that pressure tho but that's really down to environment/location and experience.

thanks guys.
I'm unsure on where my air vent should be for the purposes of the test and which vent I should use. Also what fitting will the pump require to connect into?

should have a rubber hose with a 1/2" bsp female end on it, can screw onto a normall ballofix valve.

All depends on size of installation really. You may need more than one vent at the high points. If you can't visualise, map the pipework out in elevation, it'll show you high points if they're spread out, place vents in each area.

Sorry if I am talking cross purposes but I will have vents on all the rads but was wondering where I should situate a vent for the purposes of the pressure test. I assume that i need to push the air out whilst I am pressurising the pipes using the water pump. As explained, I currently have all pipes capped off as the radiators aren't connected up yet.

quickest way is to fill up off the mains using a hose then pump it up with the bucket once full and bled.

Can I temporarily stick an air vent on one of my radiator downpipes? Will that be sufficient for the purposes of my test?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back