Previous owners started works but did not complete the full project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I’m in a situation where I’ve submitted for full planning (permitted dev rights removed) for a part double part single 3 m rear extension. We are end of terrace north facing garden.

But it’s been brought to my attention that we may not have needed to apply for planning again and wanted to get peoples thoughts before speaking with the planning officer.

Back in 2009 previous owners had applied for planning permission for a loft conversion + part double part single extension which was fully approved.

They started works within the 3 yr period and completed the loft conversion but didn’t end up doing the rest - does this mean because works commenced then in principle we could continue with the approved permission? It seems like a grey area but has anyone experienced anything similar?

May be worth noting that out of 19 neighbours consulted, only 1, our adjoining neighbours, objected. Scattergun approach using every claim under the sun including the impact that the lack of sunlight may have on their future children in the garden (they have no children as of right now). They also have their own 3 metre conservatory extension too.

We’re fully compliant with the 45 degree rule and the double story part is stepped back 2 metres from the boundary. But regardless, this same extension was approved previously so would this hold weight?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It's not a 'grey area'.
If the loft conversion and extension were both on the same application and approved as such, you can commence the extension at any time and the permission is still valid.
You should withdraw your recent application, and try to get at least a partial refund of the application fee.

Thanks, that’s good to know.

There are 2 design variations from the 2009 application, would this change anything as I suppose the design technically differs from what was approved:

Insertion of front loft windows (they had rear windows inserted we’d like to add front windows too)

Direction of the single story pitch starts from the double storey side rather than sloping from the existing house outwards.

Otherwise plans are the same from the outside, same brick and tile material, roof of the double is the same etc.

I’ll raise with the planning officer next week if it may still be valid and go from there.

Sponsored Links
Not a good move; you're not listening - just withdraw the application.

As mentioned above, there are 2 design variations to the 2009 plans including the insertion of front light windows to the loft (they had rear roof light windows added) + single story roof slope repositioned. All other parts of the external plans (tiles, brick, projection) are the same, but given it is not 100% identical I wasn’t sure if I could just withdraw and proceed. Or whether this could be considered a minor amend.

Front Veluxes (assuming similar-type rooflights?) don't need planning permission, unless you are Listed or in a conservation area.
Can't comment on the single-storey roof slope as haven't seen the plans.
But the usual thing in these cases is that planning officers generally ask for a new application and there's no guarantee that you'll get the changes you want.
On the other hand, if you built it as you want, it's highly unlikely it will be picked up. Planning officers never make post-build site visits unless someone makes a complaint; the Building Inspector won't give two hoots.

Front Veluxes (assuming similar-type rooflights?) don't need planning permission, unless you are Listed or in a conservation area.
Can't comment on the single-storey roof slope as haven't seen the plans.
But the usual thing in these cases is that planning officers generally ask for a new application and there's no guarantee that you'll get the changes you want.
On the other hand, if you built it as you want, it's highly unlikely it will be picked up. Planning officers never make post-build site visits unless someone makes a complaint; the Building Inspector won't give two hoots.

Yes similar velux windows. We’re not in a conservation area etc but permitted development rights were removed on certain plots of the development in the 90s.

Highly likely our adjoining neighbours would report it as they were the only ones to raise objections (of which they had plenty). Appreciate the advice nonetheless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back