Price Check Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering getting a professional to Tile my floor, it's 10 sqm, using 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I have been quoted £320. I am in Perthshire, I worked it out as £19.2 per tile, which seemed like a lot to me. What do you think?

Thnks for your help

Smiffy

Sponsored Links
Thems some big tiles,it will need plenty of preperation to get them flat.
The price depends on many things,cuts for doorways etc,supplying adhesive,how flat the floor is.
Last time I laid tiles that size they were an absolute pain to cut,lucky for me there was another tiler on site with a big dewalt wet saw.

Get some other quotes in,some tilers will run a mile with that size tile ;)

by all means get more quotes

but ....
if you dont like the price, do it yourself!

then, when, as you will see that its not actually as easy as youd think tiling anything to the starndard you have in your head, you can pay a pro tiler to come dig up your work, tile again, so the £320 will look a bargain after youve paid the extra for the new tiles and the removal work.

Sponsored Links
£320 is very cheap.

I would charge one million pounds, but that includes adhesive and grout.

I'm fully booked, but an extra million in my back pocket would change all that.

Might be foolish but I am going to do it myself, I just cant justify paying someone 320 quid for 6 hours work, and when I worked it out I could do it myself and make a mess of twice before getting it right(third time lucky :D ) and still come in less that 320.

Starting it on Friday night...

...wish me luck

I just cant justify paying someone 320 quid for 6 hours work,
:eek: :eek: 6 hours work :?: :?:
I would love to be able to tile it the fast,plus don't forget at least 3 bags of adhesive depending on bed thickness at £14 a bag (trade price) plus grout
I would say 2 days for that size tile and sq meterage.A day and a half tiling (depending on cuts of course) then grouting and finishing off.

Starting it on Friday night...

...wish me luck

May the force be with you :)

me personally, i would use day one to tile, day two to grout and finish, fella if you can get that lot done in 6 hours, you got yourself a job!

plus, how much were the tiles, cause if you can make a mess, then pull it all up and get it down and still not go over 320, they must be garbage!

isnt perthshire scotland? who ever said the jocks were tight were just a great big fat liar! you proved them wrong matey! ;)

I did the job myself, started last Friday night and did a few hours then a few more on Saturday and finally finished on Sunday afternoon, all in all I would say it took me about 12 Man hours for the whole thing including grouting. The finished job looks great and I am glad I took it on myself, it cost me 80 quid for adhesive, 10.99 for grout, 22 on a laser level and 4 quid on spreader plus another few quid here and there for spacers.

I would recommend anyone with a reasonable amount of DIY experience to take on a job like this. For those of you thinking about doing it here a couple of things I have learned from my experience.

1. Bond the concrete floor(this is essential) PVA 1 Part Water 5 Parts, I used a soft bristle sweeping brush to do this and it worked a treat.

2. Laser line level helped my get a straight line along my wall allowing for the width of skirting board to take up any unevenness in the wall.

3. I used BAL Adhesive and grout, The Adhesive was Rapid Set and I was a little worried about it going off to quick but because I had bonded the floor I had plenty play time with the tiles.

4. You need a big and I mean big bucket to mix the adhesive in and the stuff is messy as hell so don't think you can do a little bit here and there or you will just spend all your time cleaning up!

5. My top tips I guess are not to spend too much time messing around with each individual tile because you don't really know if the one you have laid is right until you have laid the next one or two next to it if you know what I mean. Also clean out the adhesive between the gaps after a few minutes because one it goes off its hard to get out before you grout.

Hope this helps

I saved a mint :D

I did the job myself, started last Friday night and did a few hours then a few more on Saturday and finally finished on Sunday afternoon, all in all I would say it took me about 12 Man hours for the whole thing including grouting. The finished job looks great and I am glad I took it on myself, it cost me 80 quid for adhesive, 10.99 for grout, 22 on a laser level and 4 quid on spreader plus another few quid here and there for spacers.

I would recommend anyone with a reasonable amount of DIY experience to take on a job like this. For those of you thinking about doing it here a couple of things I have learned from my experience.

1. Bond the concrete floor(this is essential) PVA 1 Part Water 5 Parts, I used a soft bristle sweeping brush to do this and it worked a treat.

2. Laser line level helped my get a straight line along my wall allowing for the width of skirting board to take up any unevenness in the wall.

3. I used BAL Adhesive and grout, The Adhesive was Rapid Set and I was a little worried about it going off to quick but because I had bonded the floor I had plenty play time with the tiles.

4. You need a big and I mean big bucket to mix the adhesive in and the stuff is messy as hell so don't think you can do a little bit here and there or you will just spend all your time cleaning up!

5. My top tips I guess are not to spend too much time messing around with each individual tile because you don't really know if the one you have laid is right until you have laid the next one or two next to it if you know what I mean. Also clean out the adhesive between the gaps after a few minutes because one it goes off its hard to get out before you grout.

Hope this helps

I saved a mint :D

good to see you did it yourself, glad your happy with it, was it a dead square room? where did you start? what sort of cuts did you have? anything to go round? get clicking lets see the pro jobbie :cool:

first mistake was using pva should have used BAL APD Primer or similar how did you cut the tiles ? and as jefoss asked where did you start? how many did you break i would love to see the pics

I will post pics tomorrow for you. I did not break any tiles I was really surprised at how durable the tiles were. I did cut one wrong because I measured one way and then the other but other than that they cut really well. The room is/was pretty square with one line down the starting wall where the uncut tiles went being about 5mm out, the other wall did not mater because I cut the tiles. I had 2 right angle cuts and 12 straight cuts, I used a small 4.5 inch grinder with a bosh diamond concrete cutting disc, it sailed through the tiles and only made very very small chips of the edges when cutting.

You will see from the pics, but I started by lining my laser up along the legs of my kitchen cupboards to make sure I could get a straight line while keeping every tile close enough to the legs so the kickboards would cover any irregularities, as it turned out there were none to cover and I managed to get a straight line within 5 mill of every leg. I then started at one corner and laid the complete line of 8 tiles infront of the kitchen cupboards and then worked backward to the next row. On the first night I did not do any cuts and only laid my whole tiles.

On Saturday I did most of my cuts went to the pub and then finished it on Sunday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back