Primatic !! please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New on here so please be patient :D Ok I have removed a primatic hotwater tank from an old house because it was leaking and now have brought a new one but the new tank has more inlets/out lets than the old one !! :( the system is a back boiler no radiators so its main function is to heat the hot water ... on the new tank ther is 2 one inch fittings similar spacing to a indirect tank but no coil as you can see through the tank do these fit to the boiler or the opposite side another 2 fittings same size but the spacing is closer together towards the bottom of the tank but you cant poke your fingers through do these fit to the boiler ? one of them is the bottom feed for the cold water which one ? and do I blank one of the top ones off ? the top hole is the outlet for the hot water as i know and the imersion heater .... I would like to see a diagram but to no avail cant find one !!
Please help thank you .
Ste.

Sponsored Links
did you buy a primatic cylinder to replace it?, didnt think you could get them anymore.

Yes, don't use a primatic cylinders. Change your system to a modern open vented version. They got phased out for a reason.

did you buy a primatic cylinder to replace it?, didnt think you could get them anymore.

I got a new tank yes you can still get them I do not want to start ripping out tanks etc etc All I want to do is fit the new one NO RADIATORS just to heat a pensioners hot water without using the emersion heater thanks

Ste

Sponsored Links
you sure its primatic, sound like a normal indirect cylinder to me.

looking at several schematics of primatic tanks I am convinced that the lower 1" fittings (the ones spaced closer together) are the ones I connect to the existing boiler 28mm . the 2 fittings on the opposite side that look similar to indirect fittings I must blank the top one off and use the bottom one as the cold feed ? the top outlet remains the same am I correct ?

Thanks ste .

Yes, don't use a primatic cylinders. Change your system to a modern open vented version. They got phased out for a reason.

strangely this tank was fitted from new early 60s since they moved in and have never had it flushed or any problems !! although a lot of limescale it weighed in nicely :LOL:
Ste .

you sure its primatic, sound like a normal indirect cylinder to me.

Hmmm i made the mistake of fitting a indirect (secondhand) and when i plummbed it in no water went to the boiler as the drian was open downstairs once the tank was full . then i removed the connectiond from the tank no water came out !! so I had to syphon all the water out of the tank to empty it
Ste .

Sounds more like a direct tank with extra connections for a solid fuel heat source than a primatic to me.

looking at several schematics of primatic tanks I am convinced that the lower 1" fittings (the ones spaced closer together) are the ones I connect to the existing boiler 28mm . the 2 fittings on the opposite side that look similar to indirect fittings I must blank the top one off and use the bottom one as the cold feed ? the top outlet remains the same am I correct ?

Thanks ste .
If the close together ones stick out - male - and the ones on the other side are female - 1 inch BSP threads - then yes you are right and what you have is a secondary return tapping :idea:

There is NO coil in a Primatic. As suggested in DIYNOT, you are probably a little confused. Take the advice and get a plumber. But as a snippet:

www.salamander-engineering.co.uk/technicalcentre/faq/faq.htm#primatic[/QUOTE]

Yes I know no coil in a primatic or direct !! I have a primatic to fit this will be powered by a back boiler but it has 1 hole to many all i want is a diagram or something to fit it in !! simples ....Ste .
So why confuse the issue by pointing out that there is no coil in the NEW primatic!? And, comments like the above won't endear ypourself to contributors ESPECIALLY as the link I provided takes you to a pretty clear diagram!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back