Primatic system?

turn off the cold feed to the cylinder,the one that feeds from the tank above ,drain heating and refill by re opening the cold feed.......simples.
by the way the circs go straight into the cylinder and do not have a cold feed or vent connection.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. By the way will draining just the heating restore the air bubble?
Have been advised to get the plumber back in who fixed the radiators on his return from holiday and as I'm away for a couple of days this probably makes sense.
In the meantime if anyone else has any further suggestions I'd be very grateful. I'll let you know how I get on.

He`s no Plumber - more likely a wealthy Gas Fitter :LOL:

Drain heatingt all down -open all the rad vents - After shutting the valve that feeds the cold water to bottom of cylinder .

When it`s all empty . shut air vents and open the C/Feed valve a Little - let it all fill Slowly - vent the rads - set the Hot water going on the boiler and see what happens ;)

Will give it a go!
Will be later next week before I'm able to do it.
In the meantime all advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Won't be able to do anything until next week now-going camping so the lack of hot running water close by will not be unusual!

Don't quite understand last 2 posts but any further advice gratefully accepted.

is that not what i said
Indeed , but a DIY`er needs to be told to fill slowly - they might just open the valve fully and let it rush in and there goes the bubble :cry: . Apart from that you can charge more £ as the system is filling - then you warm it up - half a day gone ;)

Why are you persisting with this piece of historical cr*p?

Just get rid of it and install a proper efficient modern cylinder with separated primary and secondary circuits.

You'll benefit in terms of faster and more economical heat-up and recovery and no chance of contaminating the hot water with dirty/chemically dosed primary water. You could even go for an unvented cylinder and get mains pressure 'power shower' performance, wow, what a treat!

Go on......you know it makes sense! :D

As you cant boil it up you could try sticking boiler stat up full , this sometimes shifts small airlocks

Have turned the boiler stat up to full. Hasn't made any difference. Going to drain it and refill tomorrow.
Just how slow does it need to be refilled?

I reckon the gate valve about a quarter or less open . - See how many turns it takes from open to shut before you start - then work it out roughly . ;)

Well I don't think I could have filled it any slower but still no hot water! Lots of bubbling and some radiators warming up on hot water setting but no hot water.
Looks like I'll be ringing the plumber on his return from holiday.

glad it`s not me :eek: sounds like a right S.O.B :cry: of a system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back