Primed gate getting wet!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a self assemble gate and primed the wood prior to assembly. I put the gate up last weekend and managed to get a coat of gloss on one side of the gate (the front, thankfully) but have not managed to do the back of the gate because of the weather.

Unfortunately the back of the gate has taken on a slightly yellow hue due (I believe) to the dusty rain that fell yesterday morning. My questions therefore are will I be able to simply gloss over the existing primer without a problem and how much protection does primer actually give? The reason for this question is that trying to find a 10 hour slot (whilst the gloss is drying) when it's not going to rain or be windy is looking a bit difficult.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should be putting an undercoat on first before you gloss.

Can you not take the gate into a shed to paint?

You should be putting an undercoat on first before you gloss.

Can you not take the gate into a shed to paint?

I agree about taking it indoors if possible.

If what you have used is simply wood primer and not undercoat, then this weekend, (forecast is OK) give the back a light sand and apply proper undercoat as Pigeon says. Then wait until that is dry and gloss it.

What brand and type of paint are you using (i.e. who makes it and is it oil based or water based)? With Dulux Weathershield o/b, for example, they recommend preserver on any bare wood, plus 2 coats of undercoat then one of gloss. Then they guarantee it for 8 years. One coat of u/c and one of gloss won't last as long.

Sponsored Links
I should have clarified that I used 2 coats of Dulux Primer & Undercoat (water based) before I erected the gate.

Yes, taking it off and indoors to gloss is certainly a consideration and if the weather stays inclement then I will go down this route.

I just want to know whether I'm wasting my time glossing over the primer/undercoat as it's now got wet (although not excessivley). Would it be wise to lightly sand and then gloss or lightly sand and then undercoat and then gloss?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back