Primeline bathroom extrator fan (timer)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just installed... when i switch on the bathroom light the fan comes on, when i switch off the bathroom light the fan goes off... i have tried adjusting the timer screw, but still fan on when light on and fan off when light off. i suspect i have the wires connected incorrectly. dow anyone have a diagram of the connections? or advice please...

Sponsored Links
just installed... when i switch on the bathroom light the fan comes on, when i switch off the bathroom light the fan goes off... i have tried adjusting the timer screw, but still fan on when light on and fan off when light off. i suspect i have the wires connected incorrectly. dow anyone have a diagram of the connections? or advice please...
Do you have a permanent live, as well as a switch live and neutral going to the fan?
If not then your timer fan will only work as a standard fan (on/off) - no matter how far you adjust the timer screw.

What colour wires do you have and what terminals on the fan are they connected to?

PS Did you make a note of where they went on the old fan.?

hi... in response to both questions; i beleive i have perm. live, switch live and neutral wires attached to the unit. colours; black, brown and grey (i think). btw; this a replacement for a non working unit, e.g. the same type of unit (primeline?) did work fine before...

Sponsored Links
hi... in response to both questions; i beleive i have perm. live, switch live and neutral wires attached to the unit. colours; black, brown and grey (i think). btw; this a replacement for a non working unit, e.g. the same type of unit (primeline?) did work fine before...
In which case you need to answer TTC's questions.
What colour wires do you have and what terminals on the fan are they connected to?
You have given us the colours but not the terminals - Also do these three cables go through a three pole isolator?

PS Did you make a note of where they went on the old fan.?

apologies, had to nip up stairs to check ;)... i have black going into L, brown going into S/L and 'grey' going into N. not sure what a 3 pole isolator is?

apologies, had to nip up stairs to check ;)... i have black going into L, brown going into S/L and 'grey' going into N. not sure what a 3 pole isolator is?
And this is how they were wired in the old fan?
It sounds as if you have got your switch live wire and your permanent live wire the wrong way around.

For a timer fan the S/L activates the fan - when you turn the S/L off the permanent live kicks in for the time set by the timer.
If you have them the wrong way around you are using the permanent live as the S/L to start the fan but because when you switch the light/fan off both the switch live and permanent live are disconnected.

Bingo! :p thanks a lot... works as expected, just need to tweek the timer to suite. thanks a lot for your help. have a good night/week-end... just shows the value of these forums and the experts that take the time to contribute...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back