Primer for difficult surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to paint some office furniture units. These are 3 drawer and go under an office worksurface.
The surface to be painted is a tough/durable plastic film over a teak wood effect finish.

Is there a suitable primer that will grip on this sort of surface ?

Thanks,

andytw

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I want to paint some office furniture units. These are 3 drawer and go under an office worksurface.
The surface to be painted is a tough/durable plastic film over a teak wood effect finish.

Is there a suitable primer that will grip on this sort of surface ?

Thanks,

andytw

It's a little difficult to know what the "plastic film" is that you refer to, but you could try this; note the part about a preliminary test first.

Classidur Universal Primer Xtrem

"Use as a binding primer on wood, old, but sound paint, ceramic tiles, non-ferrous metals and, following a preliminary test, on hard plastic materials and plastified or varnished substrates, prior to application of all types of current single-component water or solvent-based finish."

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/c/CLASSIDUR_UNIVERSAL_PRIMER_XTREM/

Datasheet;

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/techdata/c/CLASSIDUR_UNIVERSAL_PRIMER_XTREM

Hi,

I opted for Zinsser BIN and it has taken well to the surface so I think the original question has been resolved....however....

I lightly sanded the primer and cleaned over with some meths and then roller applied Dulux solvent based eggshell. This covered well and I believe has dried OK, but if I lightly sand this or drag over with a fingernail then I am straight back to the primer. The eggshell is on there but not stuck on there.
The painting was done in my garage and it is not ideal weather.

Any thoughts or suggestions please.

andytw

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back