Primer preservative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,when using dulux weathershield primer preservative I have always done two coats as it says to but I've been told by someone else that they only do 1 coat,is this right or should you always apply 2 coats,also can anyone recommend a good quick drying primer alternative to this as sometimes time is an issue,many thanks

Sponsored Links
This is what Dulux say :

Apply 2 coats with a brush. Leave the first coat to soak in before applying the second, but reapply before the first is fully dry (typically 2-6 hours). Leave 24 hours for second coat to dry. Finish with an appropriate Weathershield Exterior Paint system. The maximum benefits of the Weathershield system will only be realised when used as directed on good quality timber. Use pre-treated timber for ground contact situations.

I'd do as they suggest because the first coat on bare timber is drawn in. 24 hrs is a long time for a WB coating you could have a look at bedec, their exterior paints are very good.
Although there is no way a dulux exterior system will last anything like 6 years, not following their 'rules' will void any warranty should the paint fail early. That said they'd find an excuse either way, moisture content at time of painting is a good one...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back