Priming Coving before painting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can I use PVA (mixed with water) to primer some plaster coving before painting (coving is faced with paper).

They recommend using "coving primer", but I've got a load of PVA and wondered if I could use that.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I'm not clear on what you are calling "PVA".

If you're planning to dilute white wood glue with water and paint that on your bare plaster, you're asking for trouble. That's because when you paint over dried wood glue with an emulsion paint, the moisture from the paint will re-emulsify the wood glue, and any further brushing or rolling will break up the glue layer and you'll just have a big mess on your hands. (On the wall, actually.) You need that wood glue to be either dispersed in the plaster or under the plaster where there's not as much moisture and the plaster holds everything together until it dries out again.)

In the few times where I've painted directly over dried wood glue, the result was usually a mess and my regretting having done it.

If the wall paper that's on the cove is hard to stick to because of it's smoothness, I'd save that PVA you have for some other purpose and use a sticky primer (like Zinsser's Bullseye 123) to prime that smooth wallpaper, allow to dry and then paint over that. Not all latex primers are equally sticky, so not all will stick well to smooth wallpaper. Zinsser's Bullseye 123 will stick well to darn near anything, even glazed ceramic tile.

By PVA, I mean:

Evo-Stik Super EVO-BOND PVA Adhesive, Sealer, Primer & Admixture.

That's what is says on the tin!!

So, this can't be used then (even though diyisfun used it and all was ok).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
thediynovice said:
Hi all

Can I use PVA (mixed with water) to primer some plaster coving before painting (coving is faced with paper).

They recommend using "coving primer", but I've got a load of PVA and wondered if I could use that.

Thanks

Can't see the point in using pva, or coving primer. I allways get away with a mist coat of emulsion and a thicker coat to finish. The mist coat does a better job of sealing and is perfect surface for next coat of emulsion. well thats the way have been doing it for last 30 yrs , an my wrist dont arf ache now :rolleyes:

well thats the way have been doing it for last 30 yrs , an my wrist dont arf ache now

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nice one.

Thanks for the advise.

What do you mean by a "Mist coat"? Is this like a normal coat very roughly done?

Thanks again

Leave the PVA in the tin, theres no need, just thin some emulsion for a first coat then coat as normal

Do that before you intend to fill and rub down...or you might scratch the surface of the coving

UPDATE...OOPS SORRY JON...JUST SPOTTED YOUR POST... YOU BEAT ME TO IT..

A mist coat is a thinned coat of emulsion...so called because it rembles a misty effect. (often reffered to in the trade as a 'p*ssy one'!)

The amount you can thin it depends on the brand/type of paint...most rade emulsions id say 30/40% is safe...retail paints..id go for about 20% water.

Nester wrote:

Zinsser's Bullseye 123 will stick well to darn near anything, even glazed ceramic tile.

The 'technical term' over here Nester is...'sticks like sh*t to a blanket' - Dulux trade manual 1979 - :rolleyes:

Nice one.. thanks.

I'll do just that, and make sure I do it BEFORE I fill in the gaps.

Cheers all.

:D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back