Priming Plywood for Tiling with Masonry Paint

Richard, you have your way and others have their way maybe you need to allow room for other peoples “opinions” rather than shooting them down as i have seen you have a habit of doing in your replies.

And just for you :rolleyes: :LOL:

Paul,
Not having a go mate, but, how can you come on this forum, leave a post for Richard asking for his help, then hijack another thread and contradict Richard, it beggars belief that you would ask him for advice then have a go at him.

Not having a go at him, i asked why he does not like the use of plywood but attaching backer boards to a lower quality wood is acceptable(I do understand the boards will make it ridged but the frame can still twist) also Bal says it is ok the tile onto Ply as long as it is prepped right as the OP was asking about)

Then i get one of his grumpy replies which i took as a “roosting” and how dare you question me.

I have not asked him personally for his advice i asked him why not the use of plywood on this thread, if you would like to go and re reed the OP question it was about priming plywood.

Now read your reply which i think was spot on TBH

Now Richards reply is rip it all out as you are going to fail which simply in NOT true it is.

It seems its Richards way or the “highway”

I have been around forums in one way or another for many years and i thought it was a place to glee advice from in one form or another, i also thought you could ask someone “why is that so” without getting shot down in flames, but i guess this forum is not run that way :oops:

Sponsored Links
Paul, i have to appologise to you mate, i just re-read the other thread, its by Paul 78, i got it wrong mate so i hope you accept my appology. SORRY mate

I’m not a DIYer; I’ve been doing this & a whole load of other stuff professionally “top end” for a few years now with related experience in another industry for most of my life. I don’t have failures; you’ve had a couple of “E’s” from BALL & you’re a bloody expert already. It’s about facts, your “opinion” doesn’t come into it; I will only “shoot you down” if your wrong or won’t listen to or can’t understand the bleedin obvious; well meaning “opinions” are no good at all when your tiles start to fall off the wall! You’ve made no attempt to listen or understand what I’ve said regarding the OP’s circumstances, I can only conclude your either too stupid to understand or don’t want to listen anyway. To repeat what I’ve said already YET AGAIN; a ply wall base is not a good idea unless you go to a whole load of other prep but tiles over a ply box in the corner of a bathroom will almost certainly be fine, although I wouldn't do it. However, THIS OP IS PUTTNG THIS STUFF IN A WET AREA & FIXING A SHOWER VALVE TO IT, FFS how many more times do I have to explain!

If you look at my posts you will see I always go the extra mile to give detailed & proven advice to those who want it & the 500 odd that have thanked me for it would seem to support that; equally I will admit when I’m wrong & recognise good advise given by others. You obviously didn’t agree with the advice I gave you a while ago but that’s no reason to come on here & troll me; the biggest problem is it screws UP the OP's thread. I can only conclude you’re either a pedantic trouble maker, someone else’s “alter ego” or a total prat. Now GFY you troll, DIY vanker; go back to the forum you came from.
flipping-the-bird.gif

OK Guys, can i interject here for a minute, you are both correct in your own ways.

Ply CAN be used in wet areas BUT as Richard states, there is a lot of prep work involved, TANKING is a must if WBP ply is to be used where the O.P wants to use it.Or he is heading for a fall.

Richard always gives 100% correct advice, maybe his advice is not the way some people do jobs, but it is the CORRECT way.

Sponsored Links
here is a couple i have done previously using 19mm WBP ply, first is a wet-room and second is a bathroom, the reason the ply was used is because the customer owns a timber yard, .Everything was done correctly, sealing, priming, tanking etc etc. They turned out very well and are still as good as when first done. BUT a hell of a lot of work went into them

[/img]

I’m not a DIYer; I’ve been doing this & a whole load of other stuff professionally “top end” for a few years now with related experience in another industry for most of my life. I don’t have failures; you’ve had a couple of “E’s” from BALL & you’re a bloody expert already. It’s about facts, your “opinion” doesn’t come into it; I will only “shoot you down” if your wrong or won’t listen to or can’t understand the bleedin obvious; well meaning “opinions” are no good at all when your tiles start to fall off the wall! You’ve made no attempt to listen or understand what I’ve said regarding the OP’s circumstances, I can only conclude your either too stupid to understand or don’t want to listen anyway. To repeat what I’ve said already YET AGAIN; a ply wall base is not a good idea unless you go to a whole load of other prep but tiles over a ply box in the corner of a bathroom will almost certainly be fine, although I wouldn't do it. However, THIS OP IS PUTTNG THIS STUFF IN A WET AREA & FIXING A SHOWER VALVE TO IT, FFS how many more times do I have to explain!

If you look at my posts you will see I always go the extra mile to give detailed & proven advice to those who want it & the 500 odd that have thanked me for it would seem to support that; equally I will admit when I’m wrong & recognise good advise given by others. You obviously didn’t agree with the advice I gave you a while ago but that’s no reason to come on here & troll me; the biggest problem is it screws UP the OP's thread. I can only conclude you’re either a pedantic trouble maker, someone else’s “alter ego” or a total prat. Now GFY you troll, DIY vanker; go back to the forum you came from.
flipping-the-bird.gif

Thanks for your very nice and professional reply, telling me to go reproduce with myself, calling me a diy m-a-s-t-u-r-b-a-t-o-r and giving me the finger show great maturity on your part :rolleyes:

The fact is you CAN tile onto ply FACT, i know this from past experience and not from Emails to BAL. I made a shower room for my employees over 12 years ago, it was part plaster board and part 19mm ply, i did not prime the back and sides with SBR and did not tank it, i stuck the tiles on with Dunlop tile on wood and they and as of Friday they were still on the wall.

A kin to this JCT as also posted a project he did again tilling on to ply wood, and lots of adhesive manufactures make products that can be use to tile on ply.

But i guess you have a different take on it which is fine, but remember there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Now as for me being a “Troll” not sure how you have come up with that? The advice you gave me was just that advice, i can choose to take it or leave it, I for sure am not bitter or have any axe to grind, i think you are reading too much into this.

I did however reply to your comments and pointed out a few things “you thought i was doing wrong” were in fact right and permitted but you chose not to reply which is just fine.

I would like to End on this.

I have amassed a vast amount of knowledge from this forum which has made my projects and future projects much better and I thank everyone who takes the time to reply to questions.

As i have dyslexia i find it hard to type into words what is in my head so don’t “offer advise” very often but i don’t think this makes me a bad person or should be subject to abusive replies.

The fact is you CAN tile onto ply FACT, i know this from past experience and not from Emails to BAL. I made a shower room for my employees over 12 years ago, it was part plaster board and part 19mm ply, i did not prime the back and sides with SBR and did not tank it, i stuck the tiles on with Dunlop tile on wood and they and as of Friday they were still on the wall.
Its still not getting through to you is it; read through the whole thread again VERY SLOWLY. Nowhere have I said that you can’t tile onto a ply base, you can but if you want the job to last, ply needs to be correctly prepped as both I described earlier & as JCT also describes on the job he shows in his post. My “take” on it is why bother with all the extra work & expense on ply when you can just as easily use a decent tile backer board & tile straight onto that. The fact that you seem to have got away with tiling on ply in a shower room without doing any prep. makes you lucky not correct.

I use BAL products exclusively & if you make the effort to read their site & product guidance, it states, “seal reverse side & edges with BAL Bond SBR” to prevent moisture ingress & to use a cement based adhesive with Addmix. You also need to understand that unless it’s epoxy, waterproof addy/grout is only waterproof in the sense it won’t disintegrate when wet, it is still porous which is why the tile base in a wet area must be waterproof or it could be affected which is why BAL also recommend tanking in a wet area; following these recommendations is a requirement of their warranty conditions & will almost certainly be standard for other trade tile products.

As for not replying to your earlier thread; the arguments you put forward then are basically the same ones that you have seriously infected this thread with. The reason I chose not to respond then was I could see where it may end up; I didn’t want to get into pedantic argument about your logic in your thread & I certainly don’t see why I should do it on someone else’s thread. I’m advising the OP not you; put forward your view by all means but if you want a debate about the niceties of tiling onto ply or weather or not a timber frame will warp behind boarding, start you own discussion thread but don’t expect a response from me as the whole thing is futile & pointless.

I would like to End on this.
So would I, I’m beginning to sound like a broken record trying to get the facts through to you! Now for the sake of everyone's sanity give it a rest.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

headbang2.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back