Priming walls before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought B&Q's "Tile and Grout". This is Tile adhesive and grout in one. Once i have stripped the old tiles off the wall and scraped of old adhesive, do i need to prime the walls again or can i just start tiling. If so which primer is prefered as i read not to use PVA
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I used this once to tile a kitchen window sill. If you like tiling with whipped cream....go ahead and use it. If you want to have the materials on your side, take it back and get some proper stuff. I think B&Q do Cerafix Trade (about a tenner a tub) - that's about the best pre-mixed adhesive they (B&Q) do. And get yourself a powdered grout that you mix yourself. You can get a paddle mixer for a drill for about £3 and it's worth buying to mix the grout.
If we're talking about a bathroom, to be on the safe side then you really need to be using the tile adhesive manufacturer's primer before you start. Kitchen, you'll be ok with PVA.
Hope this helps,
Gcol

Yes its the bathroom. The Mrs brought it in when she went to B&Q buying some door knobs so at least she tried. Take it you would definately not reccommend. I will take back tomorrow and get the cerafix.

Thanks for the help

You can do far better than tile and grout for the money. It's a poor adhesive and a very bad grout. The Cerafix adhesive is the best pre-mixed that B&Q do (in my local store anyway).
I find Dunlop stuff is pretty good (although B&Q don't do it) and very reasonable too (adhesive is about £6.70/15kg tub and white grout is about £3/3kg bag).
Gcol

Sponsored Links
The fix an grout stuff is like tiling with pus...

Did buy the ceramix stuff and so far so good. half way done now with new toilet installed. Bit of a pain having to stop and start working shifts but looking good so far.
cheers for advise people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back