Prior to Osmo oil what prep?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I have just completed sanding my new oak floor with a Trio. The finish is superlative I have to say!

I have wiped the whole thing with a soft old 'T' shirt which seems to have pulled out most of the 120 grade dust that the vacuum system on the sander did not catch...

But obviously, it's important to have as near perfectly clean surface as possible.

1. What is the common wisdom here?

2. I read on the tin a special brush should be used - is that really necessary? (I presume this is to keep the coat as thin as possible?)

After nearly 2 solid months of my spare time going into this project it would be a shame to make a silly or hurried error at this stage.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Osmo do make a very soft brush for the oil application but they are about £20 to buy. Harris do a pasting brush which is very similar and high quality, i know this as i had to take a chance on it working when i needed a new brush in a hurry, (long story...) I have a pole much like a broom handle that you can screw the brush head on to. The benifits being that you are standing up when applying the oil so have a better view of the spread. Use anything that you can attach the brush to. Pour the oil into a tray and dip the brush, don't pour the oil straight onto the floor!! First coat apply thinly, second slightly more liberal but not too much..

Hoover and damp cloth before hand..

Thanks Mac...

Another question... I appear (now the light has changed) to have cocked up some of the edge sanding. (Followed some poor advice from the sanding delivery guy) I can see a few scratches (Only in direct sunlight at the right angle, not in artificial light). I have returned all the enquipment now...

Does the oil have the effect of enhancing or hiding scratches?

I am thinking of hand sanding out the scratches with some 120, but I guess i may need to go to 80 and then back to 120.... I notice that when "I" sand it with the same grit, I can easily see where I have sanded and the machine as sanded. So how can I avoid that marked difference?

Or I could just live with it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back