Pro wrestling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I first of all say I'm not about to mock those who enjoy watching pro wrestling, whatever floats your boat and all that. However what I do wonder is what adults get from watching? I can see the appeal for kids who no doubt think it's real.

One definition of this entertainment is as follows and to me it's a reasonable enough reflection:

Professional wrestling is an athletic form of theatre that revolves around mock combat performed in a squared ring. The storylines are typically based around interpersonal conflicts between good-natured "faces" and villainous "heels". While the ring is the main stage, additional scenes may be recorded for television in the backstage areas of the venue, in a format similar to reality television.

If you've ever watched pro wrestling, the audience is mainly comprised of adults. It's evidently very popular as the venues are usually quite large with seats filled. However, whilst it's evident the wrestlers are extremely fit and talented at what they do and it's not without (real) danger, it's equally evident the 'wrestling' is nothing more than a preplanned choreographed performance.

Is anyone here into it and if yes, what's the draw for you?

Sponsored Links
It's entertainment for folk that prefer not to have to think too hard. There is a lot of testosterone there as well as steroid abuse, so add meat-head to hard of thinking. I'm sure m-itch was thrilled when they began televising WWE.

I used to absolutely WWF (as it was). In my childhood days it was Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Jake the Snake, Hacksaw Jim, etc etc.

I believed it all was real. I think I was about 10 or 11 when Hulk was getting interviewed on morning TV and was talking about the choreographing, etc. I was absolutely devastated, akin to finding out about Santa.

Never watched it again.

Sponsored Links
That's quite mature in terms of WWE thought capacity. I'm surprised you lasted so long.

Pretty sure the mental age of WWE fans rarely gets past that of a 6 year old. I think Trump and his followers are fans.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They use to have wrestling on ITV every Saturday afternoon on the telly in the 70s (?)

It used to get a big audience

The wrestlers were house hold names (?)

They use to have wrestling on ITV every Saturday afternoon on the telly in the 70s (?)

Yes, Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks etc. I enjoyed watching it when I was a kid. I just don't get the appeal (as an adult) to watch a 'sport' that's know to be near 100% pre-planned. I know we can talk about other sports having issues e.g. match fixing and the like, however even then those sports aren't choregraphed move for move, the action you're watching is real.

Back in 1977 a gang of us went to see the wrestling at Sophia gardens pavillion in Cardiff one Friday night. Good entertainment, especially after a skinfull of beer. Top of the bill that night was Big Daddy v Giant Haystacks, they put a bag of money dangling on a rope above the ring and the first one to throw the other wrestler out of the ring had to grab a step ladder and get the money. Big Daddy won the fight and opened the money bag and threw fivers into the crowd. One other wrestler on the bill that night was Mark 'rollerball' Rocco, he looked hard as nails, my mate was chatting up this gorgeous woman at the bar and it turned out it was Rocco's mrs, when he walked over my mate shat himself.

It's not a new thing. I can remember my grandad watching it on a Saturday afternoon over 50 years ago. Mick McManus, Kendo Nagasaki, Jackie Pallo and a few others. He was right into it and used to scream at the telly. "‘Ave 'im, 'ave 'im" and "Gertcha".

I used to work in a multi purpose venue that did wrestling early 80’s.
Big Daddy/ Giant Haystacks.
Audience was mainly “old” ladies with a few families .
It was the only time I ever saw hot dog stands in a space of that type. The whole place stank for 24 hours at least.

The ring was built on old car tyres for a bit of bounce.
The audience in the front row got really into it. The House Attendants had a real task to stop the front row hitting the wrestlers with handbags or even high heeled shoes.

The wrestlers would slam each other down and appear to harm each other. Then chase each other out of the auditorium and once in the dressing room have a cup of tea with each other.

they undoubtedly were talented at their job, and could take me down, but it was an entertainment.

Sponsored Links
Back