probably a stupid question re pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Sorry - This is a B.O.G.O.F question

1. Need a new combi/consensing boiler in the kitchen of a house I've just bought. Existing one is on its last legs and in totally the wrong place. Have found a Worcester Bosch Greenstar boiler which could be wall mounted in the kitchen between 2 wall units. It is on a frame so there is no exposed pipework. In the pictures looks very neat. But what about the pipes which actually supply the boiler? Whether they feed the boiler from below or above, surely they will be exposed and therfore would have to be boxed in or concealed somehow? Can pipes for boilers be chased into the wall, buried in plaster using conduits and brought to the surface behind the boiler as required?
2. What about pipework serving the radiators in a house where ground floor is concrete rather than floorboards? At the moment just about every downstairs room has pipes running up and down the surface of the walls. Can these be chased into plaster and hidden or is the only solution boxing in?

Sponsored Links
Can pipes for boilers be chased into the wall, buried in plaster using conduits and brought to the surface behind the boiler as required?

You can chase all the water pipes but probably not the gas pipe.

Can these pipes be chased into plaster and hidden or is the only solution boxing in?

If you want to go to all that trouble but they should go into a plastic duct which allows for expansion.

I take it you have a phobia of exposed pipes! :LOL:

Patience!! You can put pipes into walls if you want, and floors for that matter.
It all needs to be done properly to avoid future problems. They should be ducted to allow replacement for example. Check out building regs. Assuming you are talking about 15mm pipe you may not have enough wall thickness to do this, you could possibly use 10mm instead depending on your system requirements.

Why are you so anti pipe drops? If proper thought is given to them you won't really see them.

Sponsored Links
Bad idea to run the pipe to the boiler in the wall.
Just ask your installer to put the boiler as close under the ceiling as possible, and paint the pipes, you won’t notice them.

thanks all - sorry didn't mean to nag for a reply. Think you're right, I must have a phobia about seeing the pipes! It's just that the boilers look so neat in the brochures but as my son says they won't actually be connected in the pictures! May have resort to siting the boiler elsewhere so it and all its pipes can hide in a cupboard. Back to designing my new kitchen . . mandy

Well thats the boiler 'sorted' but as for the pipes to the radiators - one reason I asked about chasing them into the wall was that in some rooms they go down the middle of walls rather than in corners so are very obvious. In my current house I only have pipes running down the wall in one downstairs room and they boxed in a corner so no problem, but in ths new house they are unsightly and in all downstairs rooms and the hall! Thanks for advice re ducting etc.

My old house had a concrete floor downstairs and the pipework for the radiators came down in the corner of each room either in neat plastic trunking or was boxed in and painted the same colour as the walls.

It would have been great to have the pipes totally hidden, but the amount of effort that would have taken would be huge - in my opinion it's just not worth it.

You might want to consider re-routing the pipes down in the corner of each room though - that would make them less obvious.

When the boiler was installed in the kitchen in my last house, I boxed in the exposed pipes between the boiler and the work surface and continued the kitchen tiling around the box, but made sure that access was still possible to all the valves, filling loop and drain-off points in the cupboard below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back