probably get this all the time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there we've just moved in to our new house and have had problems with the hot water since sunday. i've had a plumber out and he checked over eveything, but im still not sure.
the hot water is set to come on twice a day, but i find myself checking the pipes to see if there hot. the central heating will always be redders, even when not selected to come on. And the hot water pipe i can hold (luke warm) i have to put the 3 way valve to manual then we'll get hot water. i suspect the 3 way valve, but not knowing much about plumbing and just bought our 1st house its streessing me out about what the problem could be.
can anyone help cheers

Sponsored Links
A pic of your cylinder and the controls would help, but from what you have said it does point to a diverter valve fault and if your so called plumber could not find a fault then ditch him in favour of a proper heating engineer.
I don't know if you are capable of fixing this yourself, thats why I suggest calling a pro. No offence intended.

i have to put the 3 way valve to manual then we'll get hot water.
If the system worked properly before, then it is likely the valve has failed in some way (either mechanically jammed, or the actuator has failed, or both).
If it never worked (or at least never while you were there), then it could also be a wiring fault - it's not unknown for systems to be installed wrongly in the first place.

A 3 port valve on manual would normally open both the hot water and radiator sections, hence your radiators heating up when you don't want them to.

Sponsored Links
redders means :- hot.

any who i'll have a look for a good plumber but doesnt look that harder job to do, just draining the water then bleeding it i believe. im looking at a new 1 on the bay at the moment. but i'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow if that would help.

I get the occassional failure of my two way valves. What I find is that if the system works OK by manual control all I have to do is change the head, or the actuator motor (Depends on if the head has had a new motor in before) No draining down required, simply remove the head and replace either with the old one with a new motor or a complete head.

By occasional I mean maybe two or three times over around ten years plus!

I use a pair of two way valves for totally independant control on a fully pumped system so the valves are the same 22mm size..

I get the occassional failure of my two way valves. What I find is that if the system works OK by manual control all I have to do is change the head, or the actuator motor (Depends on if the head has had a new motor in before) No draining down required, simply remove the head and replace either with the old one with a new motor or a complete head.

By occasional I mean maybe two or three times over around ten years plus!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sound like cheap valves then to be changing them 2/3 times.

Maybe - they are the Honeywell V4043H fixed horizontal with the head on top side. Bear in mind that is two valves I have done the heads/motors only 2/3 times in total over 10 years plus. I know I have done each at least once and last time swapped the complete head I think because I had picked up a spare!. To me that does not seem bad, but I don't get the feedback that you probably do.

EDIT: thinking about it, my lad is 14 ( I married late in life and got a younger wife :LOL: ) so I know it is at least 14 years +

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back