Problem after new circulating pump fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem: Circulating pump failed - new pump fitted - now the boiler seems to randomly fire up regardless of requests for heat. i.e. can turn controls to "Off" but boiler keeps firing.

I have an elderly but usually reliable heating system. It has evolved over the years and now consists of: Ideal Mexico Super 2 CF-60, new circulating pump just fitted, ST699 that only controls hot water, CM61 for the CH, V4043 motorised zone valve, copper hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard with L641A stat, F & E tank in the loft.

The pump was replaced because I came home to find nothing working. The 3amp fuse in the spur had blown. Diagnosed the old pump was U/S. Went to close isolator valves and they leaked. So, drained system, replaced pump plus new isolators. Connected up, turned on and everything immediated sprang to life. Job done or so I thought.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am going to guess that the pump took an excessive current and that one of the controls has been damaged by welding relay contacts closed.

To find out what needs electrical testing, or just possibly removing each control in turn and see what prevents the problem.

Tony

Hi Tony
Good call. Looks like it's the CM67 (not CM61) that's the culprit. They're discontinued I believe so I'm now on the hunt for a direct replacement or somebody with old stock as I also have the auto time setting module and it would be good to reuse it.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hello again.
OK. Got a CM907 (physical fittings identical spacing wise, by the way), connected it up same way as the CM67 and it now seems to be fine.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
there was nothing wrong with the old unit most likely. it just needed to be paired again as it had gone into fail safe which keeps the heating on 20% of the time and off 80%

Mine is hard wired not wireless so I don't think that would apply. Thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back