Problem compression joint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted isolator valves to the mixer shower I installed, the pipework being JG 15mm pushfit.

I used ptfe on the olive connections but the output for the HW is a problem. Its starting leaking twice so each time I applied fresh ptfe. The olive is nipped on the pipe but I can spin the olive. I’ve done the connection again and have notice a very slow drip, three drops of water over 24 hours.

I did fit JG inserts to the pipe ends.

full

Sponsored Links
If the olive can be rotated on the pipe ,you haven't tightened up the fitting enough. PTFE isn't needed on a compression joint ,where are you putting it ??
What pipe stiffeners are you using ?

One of the reviews for the isolator valve on Screwfix says the nut only needs a nip but to stop the leak I tighten it with some force. I used the JG inserts for the pipes. I wrapped the olive in ptfe.

What concerns me is overtightening and cracking the pipe end.

The awkward design of the valve is there's no flat on the body to grip it with an adjustable. You have to grip both nuts to tighten either one.

Get rid of the PTFE . Hold the valve body with a set of grips, and tighten the nut . Doing it the way you are , with a spanner on both nuts, isn't the way to do it.

Sponsored Links
Are you using spanners or a spanner and grips, note grips not flat pliers.

What are the appropriate applications for ptfe tape?
Tapered threads and a couple of wraps around an old olive if I`m not replacing the olive, others perfer to spread "gunk" around the olive.

Have tried the joint without PTFE and still a very slight drip. I took the joint apart, cut back the pipes and fitted new olives and tightened as much as I dare, sadly still a slight drip. Only the one pipe though, the HW supply.

May try a Flomaster pushfit instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back