Problem painting on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm having a real problem painting my friends newly plastered walls. She initially painted a couple of walls, and found that the paint was being absorbed really unevenly, leaving lots of ridges of paint where paint was being absorbed - it basically looks like a map of the world. The paint seems to be sitting on top of the plaster in some areas, and being absorbed into other areas. She was told by her plasterer that it was because the paint wasn't sufficiently thinned.

I'm now doing the rest of the room for her, and despite using contract matt emulsion that is thinned as much as recommended for new plaster, I am getting a similar effect. I have used exactly the same paint and consistency at home and in her hallway, without problem. When you wipe any of the remaining bare walls, the water doesn't seem to be absorbing into the paint, other than where there are hairline cracks. I was going to try sealing another wall with alkali resisting primer, Zinnsser or dulux plaster sealer. Failing that, I think the only option is to lightly rub the remaining newly plastered walls before sealing. Before doing this, I would really like to understand why is this happening - any ideas?

Is it likely to be due to over-trowelling or a bad batch of plaster (the plasterer had apparently had to send several bags back).

My other concern is what to do with the now painted walls - I did sand back a bit, but when I apply paint the same effect happens. Is the only option to sand back to plaster?

Grateful for any help - it's a massive room!

Sponsored Links
Its a hard one to call cos a painter would need to be at the plaster to investigate better. Though what type of brand. make of paint are u using ? Also what types of plaster & brand was used ? However, sometimes taking to long to paint one wall can cause the problems u mention, as highly porous, causing 3 coats, 2 coats and 1 coat on a wall at first time coating i.e. over rolling then going back etc etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back