Problem replacing light switch - no idea whats gone wrong!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my hall i've got two switches, one by the door controlling the outside light and the hall light, and then one at the other end of the hall controlling the hall light also.

I bought two new switches (made sure they are both 2 way switches) and have wired them both up like for like with the old switches. But the hall light didnt work. (The outside light is fine)

I tried putting the old switch back and that didnt work either. Then i noticed one of the wires was loose so tightened that and it did work. But that was with the old switch.

So I put the new switch back and it stopped working again. Thought maybe there was a problem with the new switch so again put the old one back but this has now stopped working!

I'm very frustrated and dont know what i'm doing wrong.

I'm pretty sure i've kept the wires going to the right places, i've double checked that they are all connected tightly, and double checked that the light bulb works!!

Is there something i'm missing?

Does it matter whether the switches are on or off when i connect them up / turn the elec back on?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Only a guess, but maybe something is loose up at the ceiling rose end and when you fiddle with the wires at the switch end it is connecting/disconnecting it.

Thanks for the suggestion of the loose wire, I've had a look just now and they all appear to be connected ok.

How would I identify which the link wire is? All the wires are black two have a red sleeve over them - one of these goes into L1 and one of these goes into common, the other wire (without a sleeve) goes into L2. Is that right?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
At the other end there are two wires connected together with a red sleeve over them - these go into L1, then there are two other wires connected together (with no sleeve) going into L2, and then a single wire with a red sleeve going into common.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back