Problem Roof!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our pitched slate roof has sprung a couple of leaks and im unsure of what to do. it only visibly 'drips' inside when the rain is particularly savage, but im obviously concerned that the water is coming in and damaging internal walls / plaster - so i need to do something urgent (and cheaply!) there are some (around 12) cracked tiles, some broken in the corner and others with hairline cracks up the centre.. also the flashing has split in places at the top of the pitched roof against the wall.

also we have a skylight that is about 15 years old and basically a very poorly made decrepid rotten thing that has lead flashing trying to weatherproof it (but not very successfully) i think that water may be penetrati9ng at these areas and tracking down the pitch of the roof and then probably through a split in the felt and then coming into our flat.

does anybody have any suggestions as to what i should do - i would like to try and do it myself (for financial reasons) but have no real experience in roofing! any comments would be much appreciated... ive heard of 'lead mate' is thois easy to use - are there any other tips/products i could try out that anybody would recommend for repairs like this....

cheers

ps how can i get a photo of the 'said' roof to show others?!!!

Sponsored Links
water is a nightmare as it will track and come in one place having travelled a long way from the point of entry. A few points first though. How high is your roof and how confident are you working on it. Im happy to walk all over them and work on them as i was bought up doing it. Its a different propsition in terms of diy and can be very dangerous. You can alos break mo0re than you fix walking about on the tiles.

What sort of tiles have you got on your roof? if there are any cracked tiles replace them. if they are concrete interlocking tiles have a close look at the where they lap. they often go on the underneath so you cant always see them and the water will go straight through the gap and onto the felt. Also have a look at any valleys you have. As regards the lead flashings its a choice you will have to make. You can get the bitumen backed lead effect roll, which is a temporary fix, but should last quite a few years, and if you do use it take your wifes hairdryer up with you to heat up the bitumen.

the best solution is obviously get a roofer in, but if its an emergency then the above may help, but be careful (i know what its like we had water pouring in last week, took me ages to narrow it down to a cracked vallet tile)

Can't add to Thermo's reply but with all flats I've worked on it's was joint responsibility between yours and the flat below.
My mate lives in one above shops he's the top flat and the flat and shop below have to pay towards roof repairs. You may have to pay for the fanlight yourself though.

Check your deeds relating to the roof repairs. Your building society or the Land registry should be able to supply those details. www.landregistry.gov.uk
select customer services
click contact list
then see line 2 if you don't know where your local LR office
Ask about downloading your property registration details. £2 don't bother with plans it they hold them that's another £2.

Sponsored Links
Agree with the other guys............Landlord/ Freeholder should be responsible.Now there is a clever law that says that if a % of the number of tenants in a block agree, then the landlord is forced to sell the freehold to them and the block then becomes a Commonhold :?: ..some people I know did that..block of 4 flats.3 agreed, and they got the freehold and lost the absentee landlord and all the hassle that wnt with it ;) :LOL: :LOL: Power to the People.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back