problem sanding undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am repainting the front door.
i am usint dulux weathershield satin which says its self undercoating but I thought i would put a coat of weathershield trade undercoat over the (sanded) gloss.
I did this on friday and there were a few faults ( the odd drip mark, some bits on the door) so i tghought i would give it a light sanding.
the bits came off fine but when i sanded the drips (using 120 on a palm sander) the paint came off all sticky- the oly way i can describe it iis like when you remove a sticky lablle and then rub off the resiidue wiith your fingers)
obviously the paint wasnt totally dry.
I am now left with a patch rough surface.

whats the best plan of action?
should I just sand the lot of (using huge amounts of sandpaper as it clogs it up really quickly)
leave it for ? to dry and then sand it off

any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if your in no rush just leave it for 3 to 5 days then id just put some under coat over the rough bit and rub i down so it belnds in with the rest

not in a huge rush but would like the whole job fished by next weekend.

do you reccomend repinting over the rough bits now ( it has the consistency of bluetac!) or waiting for it to dry then sanding it down and repainting it.

tempted to just put paint sripper on it and starting from scratch!

if the paint is still tacky then if you paint it now then the new paint is just liable to run patience is the answer lol

Sponsored Links
patience is a virtue...........

guess i will have to leave it until it sets then sand it to smoothness

sure paintstripper's not a better idea?

lol just creating work for yourself and it will still need a couple of coats anyway and you got to let each coat dry properly

BUt I am a man and thus no patience
the door is now stripped!! :LOL: tomorrow i will sand an andercoat (very carefully)
wed i shall base coat the satin
thur i shall top coat the satin
fri i shall sit on the fron path with a huuuge beer saying " i did that"

more work less time......................

........................... i hope

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back