Help! Brush marks in undercoat!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I've been undercoating my stairs (the triangle sides) to hopefully satin finish sometime next week. However, I seem to have terrible brushmarks in the dried undercoat. I paint stripped the original dodgy paint job off and sanded it all down, so it was nice and smooth, before applying 2 coats of undercoat (sanding between coats) and now want to topcoat.

But I find myself sanding it back again to smooth out the brush marks, so will then need to undercoat again as it looks patchy! Aaaggghhhh I feel like I am living Groundhog Day with this, it is beyond frustrating!

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Any tips? I am just a diy-er, so have no clue where I am going wrong with this!

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
You need to thin the paint by about 5% - 10%, then apply the paint with the grain. Then when you brush is nearly dry, lightly drag it across you paint then leave it alone.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry if I'm being thick, but what would I thin the paint with? Is it ok to thin undercoat?

Sort of wish I'd never started this project! Seems I'm covered in paint/dust all the time and going round in circles! :/

Sponsored Links
And resist the temptation to go back and retouch a bit you did any more than 3 minutes ago, it will drag the paint off the surface and cause endless amounts of swearing :(

And resist the temptation to go back and retouch a bit you did any more than 3 minutes ago, it will drag the paint off the surface and cause endless amounts of swearing :(

Lol! Ok, I will try not to re-brush bit's I've already done, have been following joe's advice of brush it, then leave it alone. Seems to be working! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back