Problem stair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Im about to start decorating stair and landing etc and would like some thoughts on my narrow stair.

I have a small set of diminishing spindles that i would like to replace with something more modern ( stainless steel rods perhaps) however if those could be easily detachable it would make getting furniture up a whole lot easier. Are these available?

Handrail will be replaced too. It is wall mounted. Ideally would like handrail on spindle side of stair but this is perhaps not possible.

I will try and put some pics up as its not easy to explain.

Sponsored Links

Hope that makes things clearer. There used to be something on top of newel post but that was probably taken off to help furniture access.

The larger end type spindle is getting loose as everyone holds onto this when using the lower part of stair.

Any ideas on modernising, having handrail nearer bottom of stair, and preferably having easily removable spindles?

My thoughts are stainless steel spindles. Remove paint from newel post and varnish depending on what I reveal. Renew baserail and top rail and varnish. Renew and possibly lengthen ( if it will not impede access of furniture) handrail around corner with varnished wood/ stainless brackets.

If you are keen on metal I'd make a hardboard template of the space and take this to your local metal fabricators and have the whole thing made up as one piece and then fix with either screws or small coach screws which will make it easy to remove when needed.

If you are keen on metal I'd make a hardboard template of the space and take this to your local metal fabricators and have the whole thing made up as one piece and then fix with either screws or small coach screws which will make it easy to remove when needed.

Thanks. That's a good idea.

I have seen glass panel sections for stairs but obviously it would need to be made to measure so cost may be high.

I will have a think on how your idea would look and work.

Sponsored Links

If I were to make up a frame are there any kind of buttons or hidden latches that could be use instead of screws etc for holding the frame in place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back