Problem tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having trouble dismantling a bathroom tap in my grandmothers house
This is an old armitage one with a screw in the side of the cap, I took the screw out but the cap wont budge, I tried turning it on completely to see if it would turn further and undo this way but still no luck. It doesnt help that the water board came down and replaced the street pipes a few years ago and broke the stopcock handle off in the driveway so I had to turn all the taps on to stop the water to this tap. They conveniently forgot to tell anyone this though so my poor grandmother may have to pay out to get that replaced. Anyone have any idea how to dismantle this tap before I use a wrench and risk damaging it? It has no screw in the top like usual just one in the side what for I dont know

Sponsored Links
Maybe the tap is on splines, you need to pull it up, try tapping it from below use a hammer handle, be gently do it all round, not just 1 place

the screw on the side is to hold the tap cross head on, so if you have the screw out the tap head must simply be stuck, you could try some heat where the head fits on to see if that it expands it enough to get off with some gentle tapping upwards on each cross, tap each of them in turn so that the head doesn't jam, you could try wd40 not sure if that will work, DON'T try heat AND wd40!!!!!!!!

The tap has a chunky metal cap not a cross head.
I'll try heating it and tapping it up if I can, but I couldn't see any other way except turning it more when it is fully on. thanks

Sponsored Links
I got it off eventually with a bit of WD40 in the screw hole and tapping it up with the claw of a hammer(protected the chrome with a cloth) under the rim of the cap while turning it round
Took long enough though, It was well seized on. The top of the spindle had two rings of splines which seemed a bit over the top.
Thanks for the advice otherwise I may've broken it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back