Problem with a 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a 3 gang light switch has the casing was broken. The switches operate 3 rooms(dining/kicthen/living), 1 being a 2-way switch.

The problem I have is, I cannot operate my light from the main switch in the living room, and when I turn my Kitchen light on/off the living room does the same.

There appear to be, what I can only describe as a 'loop' wire between common terminals on the 2 way.

I have wired as follows, which I thought was how it was originally:

Switch 1 - Dining - Red L1, Black Com
Switch 2 - Kitchen - Red L1 Black/Loop Com
Switch 3 - living - Red L1, Black L2, Loop Com
All 3 have an earth.

If the Loop cable is taken out both Dining/Kitchen operate fine but Living room doesn't work at all.

Any suggestion.

Sponsored Links
The 'loop' jumper wire wants to be grouped with the red on the kitchen light switch drop, not the black, this should stop the kitchen light oppering the lounge one, but I'm not quite sure what you mean about the 'main switch for the lounge light not working, is that this switch, or the other one? and either way, how is the other one wired?

Cheers will give it a try!

The other switch is the one in the living room and I have not changed that so I assume my connection have left the light permanently off unless using the kitchen switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back