Problem with a dimmer switch 2w 2g

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have 2 lights in my lounge and they are both controlled by a 2way 2 gang switch. There is also a 2way 2gang switch in the room next to it which controls one of the 2 lights in the lounge.
I want to replace the lounge switch with a dimmer and I have got one 2w 2g however I have a few problems and would appreciate some help.

I have 8 wires (3 red, 2 black with red tape, 1 blue with red tape, 1 yellow with red tape and an earth.

1. Is the yellow wire the link with the switch in the other room ?
2. The dimmer connector holes are very small so how do I fit more than 1 wire in ?
3. Should the Earth be connected to the metal box or the Dimmer itself ?

Thanks
Beckwith.

Sponsored Links
Check more carefully and I think you'll find the following:

1) A twin and earth cable connected to one switch only. This is for the light without two way control. The red is live and the black is switched live going to the light. They will be in switch terminals COM and one of L1 or L2. The third terminal is not used.

2) A twin and earth connected to the other switch but there are other wires in the terminals. It's for the two way switched light. As before, the red is live and the black is switched live to the light. This time they are, confusingly, in L1 and L2.

3) A three core (red,yellow, blue) and earth with a core in each terminal of that second switch. This is the two way switching link. Check the switch in the other room and you should see the other end of the cable with its cores in matching holes.

There should be THREE earth wires and if the dimmer has an earth terminal then that's where they go. If not then connect them to the metal box. If you don't see the other two earth wires FIND THEM.

Thanks for the reply.

I still have one last problem and that's getting 2 wires in the connecting holes.It just don't seem possible. Do you have any ideas ?

Much appreciated if you do.

Sponsored Links
If you really can't get two wires into the same terminal, the only thing I can suggest is that you put those wires into a chocolate block connector along with a third, short one going to the switch. This assumes that you have space for two choc blocks in the box. All in all it's a poor arrangement. Consider getting a better quality dimmer switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back