Problem with blown bulbs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, don't know if you can help?

I'm a plumber, and my brother keep asked me to change bulb in kitchen a few time ( my brother not very good with DIY ) and the last one blow so I thought there must be a loose connector or bayonet and I advised him it would be best to replace it with a new light fitting and so I replaced it and saw the wiring is a red single core with earth at the side and a grey single core neutral, am I correct this is a single core lighting system? Should we replace it with T & E or leave as it is? The house is a late 1980.

Dan

Sponsored Links
It will be extremely unlikely for a 1980 house to be wired in singles and if it was the colours would be red and black not grey, are you sure the (singles) are not connected to t&e above the ceiling probably in a connector block by the sound of it, this could also be where the problem is ie a loose connection

Thank you.

I have lift the floorboard near the light fitting and I see that there is a single core with red inner sleeve and grey outer sleeve and a earth core with it. I trace it to a kitchen switch then to lounge light. I had a look at the fuse board and there a single core with earth out and a single core in. It appear that red core run to every switch and a loop from each switch to each light and black core from every light back to board.

It could be earier than 1980. I can't be sure of age of house, it a 3 bed house with garage under.

If you want, I can take a photo of a light fitting.

Dan

It it double covered singles.

Very common way of wiring back then, and seems to be making a comeback.

Absoloutly nothing to wory about, and no need to replace the wiring providing it is not damaged.

Sponsored Links
In my experience, wiring lighting in singles was the way to do it, right from the early days. Initially, drawn conduit was used, with fabric sheathed rubber-insulated singles. Then conduit was abandoned and double insulated rubber singles replaced the fabric-sheathed stuff, then finally pvc/pvc came in.

Why?

Cost!

I suppose so, if you've got an artic full of DI singles + cpc....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back