Problem with build up of sludgeb in heating peipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone provide any answers to my current problem. I have a primatic cylinder which is heated via a Glowworm conventional flue boiler. The problem is that 3 of the 6 radiators in the house are cold (other 3 are warm to hot). I have tried cleaning the radiators out but this has had little affect.

I have located the manifold for all rads and felt the flow and returns from the radiators which are cold and these pipes are hot close to the manifold but then go cold (on one of the cold rads close to the manifold the pipe goes hot then cold, and when I open up the valve (having taken the rad off) only a small amount of water comes out - I guess the pipe is full of sludge.

My main concern is how to:

1. To pour sludge into the system (with the primatic system not having a feed and expansion tank)

2. How to drain the system and replace the necessary pipe work (all radiator pipework is in 10mm microbore under floor boards)

My worry is how do I drain down a primatic system?

And how does it refil?

And does draining down affect the air buble that is in the cylinder to separate the heating from your hot water.

This is causing me a great headache and especially with the cold weather we are experiencing at the moment - ideally I want these rads fixed before the weather gets any worse.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem. Amy ansers most appreciated.

:cry:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back