problem with central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I have an Ideal icos HE standard boiler with cold water tank in roof, hot water lagged tank in airing cupboard it is five years old. All worked really well last year, pump was replaced three years ago. The boiler is firing and not showing any faults when the hot water is on. The radiators all have thermostatic controls except for the one where the room thermostat is. I turned the radiators on but they only heat up when the hot water is being heated going cold when the tank if hot. I replaced the batteries in the room thermostat as they had died and set to 21 degrees yet there doesnt appear to be any communication between the room thermostat and the boiler eg the boiler doesnt fire to meet the requirements of the thermostat which is currently 18 degrees. I have tried putting it on Heating Advance but nothing happens but if I put the Hot Water Advance on the boiler fires and the radiators heat up - help!!

Sponsored Links
Thank you for a very quick reply - is this something I can check myself? I am not sure where I would find the motorised valve. I am quite good at solving problems and if its something fairly straight forward I would be very grateful for some advice :)

This is a motorised valve useally near your pump/cylinder.
useally a bit of electrical knowledge needed to find the fault.

imagesug.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the picture I now know what you mean - I will ask my neighbour who is an electrician to have a look for me this weekend. Your help is much appreciated :)

sounds as though valve goes to mid position as you get both HW and CH for limited time. I would think the problem is related to the micro switches inside the actuator head, meaning the valve does not go beyond mid position or if it does there is no power coming out of valves orange wire. replacing the actuator head seems the likely cure

I am so impressed by this site not sure why I have never found it before. Thank you for that last piece of info - I actually have a vague understanding of what you mean having just read up on motorised valves but will get my electrician friend to have a look for me and show him these feeds. :)

Few electricians have much knowledge about motor valves!

Heating engineers deal with these all the time!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back