Problem with draincock - experience required

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to you all.

Whoever fitted our CH draincock did in such a way that it is completely inaccessible :( . It's at the rear of the boiler and the only way to get to it is from underneath and even then you can only get your hand to around 6 - 7" away from it due to the bottom of the boiler therefore you can't use a 3-way key as per the norm.

My question therefore is does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could use to open/close it? My previous attempts at opening it have resulted in the edges beginning to round off and a small drip of water every now and then. I therefore want to tighten it up again but don't want to damage it so need to get it right first time.

All suggestions (apart from take the boiler off the wall and then get to it) will be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
provided your boiler is not at the lowest point, fit a new draincock in a convenient position.

You can replace the lockshield valve on one or more of your downstairs rads with one of these. Best positioned over a hard floor that will withstand drips and splashes, near to an outside door that you can run a hose through.

If any of your rads are fed by loops coming down from the ceiling, each such rad needs one.

p1050790_l.jpg

Until then, you can drain off from any radiator - close the valves at both ends, unfasten it and drain it, put a 3/4" BSP connector (washing machine hose or garden hose) on one valve and open that valve.

For tightening the old one, a Brake Spanner sold in car accessory shops will fit it. they have a square (not hexagonal) opening. Or you could try a miniature socket set. they are available with 1/4" ratchet drives.

p1166276_l.jpg

If your boiler is at a low point in the system you have the problem of draining the system in the first place to fit a new drain point. It might help if you post a pic and then we might be able to suggest the best way of draining it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back