Problem with Ideal boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, a problem has developed with my Ideal icos HE18 boiler. There seems to be 2 things at play:

1) The boiler switches on seemingly randomly when there is no demand for water from the programmer. When this happens the "burner" light is lit or flashing and the pump next to the hot water cylinder is on.

2) Occasionally, a reasonably loud grinding/banging sound can be heard from the boiler which lasts about 20-30 seconds.

Although these problems exist, the boiler is supplying hot water.

I have a few questions regarding this:

1) What sort of problem could this be? Are there any simple fixes? If not, how expensive is this likely to be to fix?

2) I have no knowledge of boilers/plumbing. Any ideas of how to find a good engineer to fix this (other than randomly looking through yellow pages or googling)? Asked a few friends/family but haven't had much luck.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
One of those valves will either be seized, or the internal microswitch is permanently closed, thus powering the boilers switched live.

Remove the head and check that the spindle moves freely by hand. You'll need a meter, and an understanding of S plan wiring to identify the faulty valve.

Or engage a competent engineer!

The grinding noise might indicate a failing pump.

Complete valves are about £80 although usually just the head or body can be changed.

Pumps are £90-£150.

Plus of course something for the engineer!

Tony

The noise comes from the boiler and not the central heating pump, unless you mean a pump inside the boiler?

Any ideas of how to find a good engineer to fix this (other than randomly looking through yellow pages or googling, which I don't want to do)? Asked a few friends/family but haven't had much luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back