Problem with new floor boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone may be able to give me some advice.

I had new (pine) floorboards fitted in February this year following a problem with dry rot in my living room. After 6 weeks, I varnished the floorboards with a quick drying (antique pine) satin varnish. Since then, the knots in the wood have started to crack and some seem to be ‘breaking down’. Prior to varnishing the floorboards, I washed them lightly with water/general purpose cleaner to remove dirt and footprints from when they were fitted.

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? And what can be done about it?

Thanks.

Richard.

Sponsored Links
Is the floor properly ventilated... assuming you do have a suspended timber floor and have not laid boards directly on a screed?

Yes, it is a suspended timber floor and there are 2 air bricks ventilating the floor. These had been partly blocked over the years but they were cleaned out before the new floor boards were fitted.

Ok. I was going to then ask if the airbricks were blocked as that is VERY common. I'm not too sure why this may be happening then :confused:

Sponsored Links
What species of pine has been used? What was the moisture content at time of laying and what is it now? Your supplier should be able to tell you this. What general purpose cleaner did you use? How did you wash them, damp mop or wash and how long did you allow the floor to dry?

Unfortunately, I do know what species of pine it is or what the moisture content was. I washed the floor with a damp mop and cloth using a natural citrus based general purpose cleaner and left it to dry for about 15-30 minutes.

without any more info, I would guess that the pine is of a fast growing type therefore cheaper type. It sounds as though it has been poorly kilned and that the wood is shrinking. Are there gaps between the boards.
As a solutiopn you will probably have to remove loose knotrs and fill.
What does your supplier say?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back