Problem with shower/taps going hot and cold

firstly these dont use a plate heat ex. its a heat ex sometimes classed as bi thermal. an old technology similar used on intergas. and newer ferrolis. do you live in a hard water area? also could be a passing shower cartridge. but your symptoms are more prone to a scaled heat ex. could also be other problems boiler related.

Sponsored Links
One house I lived in had a Ferroli with a bi-thermal heat exhanger, it would get scaled up in next to no time and reduce the hot water flow to a trickle.

I didn't imagine my Christmas would be so stressful.

I found the phone number of the local plumber who came last time, and he's given me a rundown of the entire situation, a lot of details my old man didn't tell me. It's ridiculous to be honest because to cut a story short, we've been using stopgap measures to fix a rather poor boiler (it was installed in 2005). Apparently it doesn't even meet regulations because there are plastic pipes within a meter of the boiler. What's the point in throwing £300 or £200 at something that might break down again, we might as well invest in something long-term and scrap the £280 a year Eon Home Energy Services plan.

He recommended that we should install a new boiler and sign up with British Gas because they don't use subcontractors like Eon do. We can get a decent length warranty and basically, have a new boiler with better care. Another option is to contact Ferroli directly and have their engineers fix the boiler and we sign up a services contract with them instead.

I'm leaning towards a new boiler but it will cost between £2,500 to £3,000 to install (rough estimate), my Dad's response? He'll look at it in May because he's going away for a month in February, leaving my Mum alone in the house with the broken shower. It isn't a financial issue, he just doesn't want to pay.

The cost is not insubstantial, I could cover up to a grand but this is another ballpark. I can't leave it until May because of Mum, I have to do some serious thinking in the coming days. It's not what I wanted for Christmas at home but hey... that's what I'm dealt with.

Thanks for all your help. I really need a swift drink :(

Sponsored Links
UPDATE:

Firstly I must thank a member of this forum who offered us indispensable advice. Mikefromlondon thanks for looking after us!

I finally managed to get my mate's brother (a certified plumber) look at the problem too. Apparently it's the 'Flow Centre/Thermostat'. Strangely Dad said he had a new thermostat installed back in April.

Anyway, my old man convinced Eon to send engineers out for the THIRD time this morning, they were extremely thorough. They didn't think it was the thermostat because everything seems to be working yet they knew something was wrong (they failed to diagnose properly last time).

Then, they realised it could be the fan that leads out...

Apparently it's not working properly because it was spinning at varying speed, and I guess, it wasn't getting the air in for heating the water? I was at work when Dad explained it on phone, so I'm a little foggy. The problem was caused by a half-broken fan...

The engineers installed a new thermostat in case, and ordered a new fan to be replaced on Wednesday, hopefully, that should resolve this agonising problem that went on for far too long.

Fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back