Problem with textbook approach to painting panelled doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just undercoated a few pre primed doors prior to glossing and used the tried and tested method (panels first etc etc). However, despite my best efforts I still got some areas which show up where the strokes joined (mainly on the vertical stiles and runs).

How can I avoid this with the gloss coat?

Many thanks

L

Sponsored Links
1st

Did you abrade the primer before you attempted to apply your undercoat.

2nd

Did you attempt to offer any major colour change eg light to dark.

3rd

What paint did you use, make, retail, or trade. And was it oil or water based.

Dec

As well as Decs questions, it sounds like a speed and technique problem. There's no easy way to explain it, all i can say is you have to work your way down the door keeping all the wet edges going, its one of those things that comes with experience really, don't work one part to long before moving to keep another wet edge going, have a look on youtube to see if there's an instructional on there, you could thin your paint to keep it open longer or even use owatrol which may be really useful for you, also you could use a short pile mini mohair sleeve to apply and then lay off with a brush.

Hi Dec

1. No-don't know what abrade is! Just added my own primer to the bare edges.
2. No-white on white.
3. Dulux undercoat from Homebase.

Sponsored Links
The term abrade is no more I suppose than a fancy word for sanding and i'm sorry if the mention of it has confused you, If these doors were factory primed then they will tend to offer a shiny appearance causing either brush or roller to skip and slide on the surface.

I know this might appear to be 20 questions yet I am only trying to ascertain why your problem has occured, this again could be due as dcdec has said due to bad application. Another excellent point raised by dcdec was his mention of paint conditioners such as owatrol for oil, and indeed floetrol for water based systems are products that should not be dismissed.

Dec

As dcdec and the dec says, speed is probably one of the things that might apply more. A 6 panel door should be painted in about 10 mins, maybe a bit more to keep the edges wet. They can run from the panels but need to be checked every 10 mins to pick any runs up that may have started.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back