Problem with Triton Opal 2 electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wondered if someone can help me. I have just recently started having problems with my electric shower. It is a Triton Opal 2. I am having the problem in that it appears to be working, but then after about 1 minute it will go cold or the water flow will just stop altogether. But then about 30 mins later it will work again but just for about a minute again. This is not long enough for me to have a shower! Has anyone got an idea what could be causing this? The shower is less than 2 years old, I don't want to buy a new one if there is a simple fix for this problem. is there a known problem with this Triton Opal 2? Or is there a similar electric shower to this one of a different make that would be easy to replace?
Many thanks.
RM

Sponsored Links
Yeah I am hoping I might just be in the 2 year period. But there is still a possibility I might not be, but just be on the outside, will check tonight. :confused:

I have just checked and I bought the shower October '06 :( So its just out of the guarantee period. How typical is that!

I have just tried the shower again, water comes out, but it doesn't sound right - like a motor like noise and the low pressure light turns on when its on the hot water setting. Has it had it or do you think it can be saved?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the inlet filter/gauze for debris?
This is located on the inlet solenoid.
If this is blocked it wont work properly.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the help and advice. Is this something someone who knows almost nothing about showers and electrics can do? :confused: Or is it time to get a plumber in?

No probs :D
If your not confident about checking the inlet filter perhaps leave for someone else to do.
My suggestion would be to call manufacturer, they should be able to recommened a local agent ( who should stock most of the parts & would have repaired these before ) to repair the shower.
Thats how we get some of our jobs at work.
Don`t forget theres a fine line between repair and replace on these sort of things. Depends on costs really.

:D

You know, I wish I was confident in doing something like this - as I bet its dead simple. But water and electrics seems a dangerous place to dabble!

I've researched this particular shower and it seems to commonly have PCB and solenoid valve problems, which is what happened to my old one 2 years ago. Last time to buy a new Triton Opal shower and the cost of the labour came to a total of £200. The fact that it broke exactly 1 month after the 2 year guarantee ended almost makes me wonder whether Triton program it that way hahaha! Both times its broken at the start of winter also, is there a reason for this?
How much should it cost for a plumber do a straight swap with an electric shower? £80 what I was charged 2 years ago sounds like a lot to me.

Do you know if there is a similar model of Electric shower to the Triton Opal 2 made by another more reliable manufacturer that I could go with instead, that the plumber could do an easy quick swap with?

I wasn't there at the time, I got someone who doesn't work to keep an eye on him, but he was there between 1 and 2 hours.

What is the going hourly rate for a plumber these days?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back