Problem with window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this comes under windows or building but a few years ago my mum who is a pensioner had her windows fitted by the council as part of a scheme she was entitled (can't remember what) but since I have noticed a problem with the bricks around the window which are starting to drop. To myself who is a novice it looks like the girder was not placed correctly.

Any advice would be appreciated as she has no money to hire a builder to sort this out. I have a bit of experience pointing so I can at least do that but what cost am I looking at if this needs to be re-fitted ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you're assumption is correct. The metal bar (which I'm not convinced they should have used) should be supported by the bricks either side, but it looks as though they've just placed it on top of the window frame, and it's now come loose.

See if you're mum can find the paper work for the windows, and go back to the council to get the job redone. If you try and do this yourself, you'd need to support the bricks above the window with a acrow prop and a strong boy to stop too many bricks dropping, rake out the cement where the bar should have been, and the put a longer bar in. The you can redo the pointing on all the loose bricks. But you may need to take the window out to get the bar in, so it's a very experienced diyer job, not a simple one. I take it that it's the same the other end.

But this also begs the question of how the inside is supported as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back