Problem with Worcester Combi Boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need some impartial advice!

We recently got a new boiler installed... a "Worcester Greenstar Junior 28i Combi Boiler"

Before it was installed we were having problems with the old boiler but the radiators were working fine. Now we have installed this new boiler a few weeks after its installation all the radiators have stopped working on the bottom floor.

The person who installed it blames the valves on the radiators for being "sticky" and blaming their old age. EDIT : by sticky, he said he meant that the metal around the valve is closing up and trapping them... they therfore need replacing. He has a valid point thatmost of them are old, but one of our radiators is a couple of years old and has a Pegler's Terrier II TRV. He tried to convince me it was only guaranteed for a year, but i read later they are guaranteed for five, so im just a bit worried. Although his explanations otherwise seem perfectly valid , he kept avoiding the fact that all our radiators valves were working fine before the new boiler and now with the new boiler they have suddenly stopped working and need replacing. I just thought it safe to check with someone who may know a bit more than i do to see if it all makes sense!

Can anyone help shed light on the situation?

Sponsored Links
mmm weird i cant see it being the valves if they were working before, have you tried turning all the other rads off that are getting hot to send the flow to the cold ones? it sounds more like a blockage to me or an airlock.

thanks for your reply timmy.

No he did briefly mention something about how the boiler would need draining, and how most of the valves would need replacing?

by sticky, he said he meant that the metal around the valve is closing up and trapping them... they therefore need replacing.

Would i be best trying your two ideas?

Have you touched or adjusted any of the valves when they were working? Valves very rarely just stop working.

Try closing all the rads upstairs. May clear air lock

Sponsored Links
hi rob, thanks for your reply.

No i havent touched any of them. In fact when i say the radiators are working upstairs but not downstairs, even the upstairs rads are barely on. I have the boiler on full blast and they are only a tiny bit warm. The radiators downstairs are totally off...

What temp is the boiler set at for heating?

This really needs to be looked at before deciding wether rad valves are faulty.

What system did this combi replace? Wasn't an old gravity fed system that had a non return valve on the heating floe to stop gravity circulation to the upstairs rads was it?

Could be that it has now jammed shut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back