Problems backing up XP Home Edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Windows XP Home Edition and I am trying to do a backup of My documents and settings. I have loaded the original XP disc as required in order to instal the Ntbackup file. The problem is that backing up process does not complete through insuffficient space on the CD (-RW). This is perplexing as following formatting the CD 567mb is specified as being available. What I am trying to copy to it is only 255mb. Any ideas as to why this might be? Also why does a CD sold as 700mb on allow for 567mb following the formatting process?

I have done backups before using the Sonic software that came bundled with the package. This has never given any problem. Also Sonic does not ask for the disc to be formatted. Am I missing something here as well?

Sponsored Links
700mb = whatever is usable, my guess is that the lead in / out takes the extra space. So it should be sold as usable space.
Just Found
Disc capacities
CD-R's have a pre-formed spiral track, with each sector address hard-coded into the media itself. The capacity of the most widely available CD format is expressed either as 74 minutes or 650MB. Each second of playing time occupies 75 CD sectors, meaning a complete CD has a capacity of 74x60x75 = 333,000 sectors. The actual storage capacity of those 333,000 sectors depends on what's recorded on the CD, audio or data. This is because audio imposes less of an error correction overhead than data, the capacity of a sector being 2353 bytes for the former, compared with 2048 for the latter. Consequently, a 74-minute disc has a capacity of 783,216,000 bytes (746MB) for audio but only 681,984,000 bytes (650MB) for data.

Wasn't aware of that stuff. Interesting it is too. Still puzzled as to why what my machine recognises as a disc of 567mb won't allow me to plonk a piffling 255mb on to it, though.

Are you sure you want to backup ALL the documents & settings? This can include loads of stuff you probably wouldn't normally want/need to keep.

Sponsored Links
Yes, there probably is a fair bit of stuff that can be removed from My Docs but I can't see (given the sizes specified) why this should be needed.

My point really was, are you just trying to back up your documents or did you really want document and settings, which contains a whole jumble of other stuff, which could potentially be very large.

I kind of wondered if you had selected the wrong folder and maybe needed to select documents & settings > user > my documents, rather than the documents & settings folder itself, if you see what I mean.

You are quite correct, Ian. Stupidly I was trying to backup the My Computer folder which of course contains the whole world (including Documents and Settings and in no way is genner be copied to a 567mb disc or even one of 700mb. Anyway I have now done a backup from My Documents (about 255mb) and it's worked fine.

Actually though, I have tried taking this backup following some instructions on the Calendar of Updates site - I originally browsed this site through one of Empip's ever helpful posts. It's pretty techy generally but does have a forum for PC halfwits (for which I am grateful). What is a bit misleading is that in its What to Back Up section it specifies My Documents and Setting (sic) as an option. It does point out that this will include My Documents, Favourites, Desktop and cookies. It then goes on to explain that "CD is the best location for backing up..." but surely isn't the Documents and Settings folder always going to be too big for one CD? Also Windows XP backup cannot store data on more than one CD so there does seem to be a certain futility in this procedure.

So what is a better alternative, DVD? Any views much appreciated. Cheers.

DVD writers are cheap enough now and DVDs can hold significantly more data that a CD. Also, you may want to select specific folders, rather than just the top level. Most backup software allows you to specific areas to backup. Also, you could use winzip or similar to compress the data before backup in order to cram as much as possible onto the available media.

There is plenty of software about that will allow you to backup to multiple CDs/DVDs should the need arise. I have some at home (can't remember the name :oops: ) but i'll check it out when i'm back at the weekend and post back.

A little over the top perhaps .. but.
I use Norton Ghost to back my 20GB C hdd to a 40GB D 2nd hdd.
It takes (600 P3) 48 mins to backup the entire C partition (the whole disk).
One can easily extract single or multiple files from that backup set using the built in 'Ghost Explorer'. An absolute boon !
The backup uses .......... 11.3 GB !! So there is always 2 full backups on the 40 GB disk, leaving near 17 GB free.
Will it carry out incremental backups? Heaven knows, I like what I have now !

Norton Ghost 2003 ( being compatible with Win98se ) on CD, no packaging or paper manual, £9.99 via Amazon, third party seller PcSoftware. Excellent deal, in Aug. 2005
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Very good tip, Pip (as usual). You bought well 'cos I cannot see the same thing for anything like £10 but I think I will go for this in anycase; it still seems like good value.

Dumb q perhaps, where do I find XP backup? I recently migrated to XP, in the past have writen to CDs using EasyCD but can now do it in Windows Explorer, manual select, copy, paste. Is there an XP tool? I searched in Help for Backup, but as usual, Help didn't.

I have Norton incl Ghost but don't want to back up the whole disk every time, I usually do Mail and My Docs and MSMoney.

chainsaw_masochist said:
Very good tip, Pip (as usual). You bought well 'cos I cannot see the same thing for anything like £10 but I think I will go for this in anycase; it still seems like good value.

You may wish to buy the latest version .. My cheaper, older version was due to compatability problems with 98se.
Just checked on Amazon for NG 2003 dearer than my buy .. still cheap.
Ghost.jpg

:D

JohnD said:
Dumb q perhaps, where do I find XP backup? I recently migrated to XP, in the past have writen to CDs using EasyCD but can now do it in Windows Explorer, manual select, copy, paste. Is there an XP tool? I searched in Help for Backup, but as usual, Help didn't.

I have Norton incl Ghost but don't want to back up the whole disk every time, I usually do Mail and My Docs and MSMoney.
Windows XP does include backup software, but for some reason it is not installed as default with a Windows XP Home Edition installation. To install the software you must do the following steps:
Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD in the CD-Rom drive
Find the folder X:\Valueadd\msft\ntbackup (where X is your CD-Rom letter)
Run NTBACKUP.NSI and install the application

If you already have Windows XP Pro, you will already have a slightly more feature full version of this handy tool installed. This tool is perfectly adequate for most home users but advanced users may wish to invest in better backup software and business users may even require a hardware based solution.
To run the backup software, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Backup
I think that is correct.. I do not run XP at present.

JohnD said:
If you have XP Professional the backup facility should be loaded. If, on the other hand (like me) you have the Home edition, you will have to reload your original installation CD. You will find the Ntbackup.exe file as one of the options for installing separately. You are then able to run it from XP directly. Dunno why MS makes this extra poncing around necessary, though.

empip said:
You may wish to buy the latest version .. My cheaper, older version was due to compatability problems with 98se.
Just checked on Amazon for NG 2003 dearer than my buy .. still cheap.

Nice link, Pip. You've just made the Chichester Academy richer by the sum of £19.95. :)

Sponsored Links
Back