Problems bleeding radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved in to a house with quite old radiators, they are covered in layer upon layer of paint so now the bleed valves are completely covered. Is there an easy way to either
a) remove the paint from the valves and get them working
b) an alternative way of removing the air from the radiators
c) or am i just better off replacing the lot.

I also have an old heated towel rail in the bathroom. I tried to bleed it but the valve was stiff. I got a pair of mole grips onto it and the end of the valve twisted off!
Any ideas? Is a bleed valve replaceable?

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo? Often there is a plug screwed into the top end of the radiator (same size as the hole for the valves) and you can replace this plug complete with bleed screw.

id replace the airing valves, if youve got a 22mm socket it will be easy and only cost a bottle of fernox and b"""hair less than a 10er for the valves. kind of depends on you, as if you think the rads are about as good looking on your walls as billie the singing bass then id change the lot out

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back