Problems when using old railway sleepers for raised beds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to use old railway sleepers to build raised beds but have been warned of problems associated with them leeching their preservatives - more clarity from anyone in the know please.

After posting this I found this information

**** From the end of June 2003 a new EU directive becomes effective regarding creosoted products. The Department of Trade & Industry rules state that creosote-treated wood must not be used "in parks, gardens and outdoor recreational leisure facilities where there is a risk of frequent skin contact" or in "containers intended for growing purposes".

What would we do without the EU !!!!!

Sponsored Links
In north London, where I live, you can buy "new" sleepers for about £15 each. I'm sure they are available elsewhere.

They weather very quickly and are not creosoted. You would have to treat them but you could use something like Ronseal which is not a contact hazard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back