Problems with conventional boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a problem with my boiler. It has been stop starting for a while, it goes through the correct ignition sequence but then what appears to be randomly the main flame goes out, the pilot stays lit but it tries to send a spark to the piot again to reignite it. The the main flame will come on again after either a few seconds or a few minutes.
Yesterday it got a bit worse, the piot lights but it just keeps sending a spark to it as if it is not alight. It did this for a few hours after we noticed the radiators were not getting hot. In the afternoon it reverted back to start stopping again.
In my old house I had a similar problem and after getting someone in to look at it, the Printed Circuit Board was replaced, this cost over 500 quid though so just want to check what I can before getting someone in to have a look at it.
There does seem to be a fair bit of air in the system as you can hear it rushing through the pump inthe airing cupboard, I'm not sure if this could at all be related.

Sponsored Links
Wow, Thanks for the quick response.
Is that a water or gas flow switch?
Is there any way of testing this before I buy a new one.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I'll take a look at the make and model and update later. Any other information you need?

Whatever it is its something which only a CORGI htg eng can help with. Its probably the flame electrode or a PCB related rectification problem.

BTW, don't get the same guy who charged you £500 for a PCB change, this is a ridiculous price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back